University of Cincinnati Cheerleading Tryouts/Mascot Tryouts
Thank you for your interest in the UC Cheerleading Program. Cheerleading at the University of Cincinnati is a competitive sport; therefore, it is a major commitment of your non-academic time and takes priority over all other activities.
Spring tryouts are to select the both the Red and Black squads. The number of members on each squad will be determined at tryouts. Both squads cheer for football. The black squad cheers for men's basketball and the red squad cheers for women's basketball. Members are chosen based on appearance, personality, communication skills, crowd appeal, motion placement and timing, tumbling skills, and partner stunting abilities.
Requirements are as follows:
- Ladies - standing back tuck, back handspring back tuck, toe-touch back tuck, optional tumbling pass with a minimum of a back handspring back tuck.
- Men - standing tuck, optional tumbling pass.
Red/Black Squad Stunts
- You will be evaluated throughout the clinics to assess your stunting skills and potential.
- If you are interested in making the black squad, we are looking for a toss stretch with a full down into a cradle.
- Everyone will perform the cheer. This is the time to show your overall cheerleading skills.
- Everyone trying out will participate in an interview.
- Wear red and black athletic apparel. All ladies are required to wear a sports bra during clinics and also for the actual tryout on Saturday.
- You will be required to run a timed mile as part of the tryout process. This will take place during one of the scheduled clinics.
You are trying out to be an ambassador of the University of Cincinnati. It would be in your best interest to come to each clinic and the tryout looking collegiate. Refer to the roster on our website for examples.
There will be two clinics prior to the final tryout date on Saturday. You will be evaluated during each clinic by the coaches. Along with assessing your cheerleading skills, they will also be looking for how you accept constructive criticism, your work ethic, and your willingness to learn. Each person will enter Saturday, the final tryout day, with a score from the coaches. This score, along with your interview score will be added to Saturday's score for use in determining the team for the upcoming year.
Clinics and Tryouts will be in Fifth Third Arena. If there is a change in venue, signs will be posted directing you to the correct facility. The clinics begin promptly at the times stated.
CLINIC AND TRYOUT DATES
|Thursday, April 11 (CLINIC) ||6:00 pm|
|Friday, April 12 (CLINIC) ||6:00 pm|
|Saturday, April 13 (FINAL TRYOUT) ||8:00 am|
|Sunday, April 14 (MANDATORY MEETING and FIRST PRACTICE) ||10:00 am|
Directions To Fifth Third Arena
**BOTH CLINICS AND THE TRYOUT ON SATURDAY ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC**
The mandatory meeting on Sunday is for those who are selected to be a part of the UC Cheerleading Program for the 2013-2014 season. You will receive an e-mail later in the day on Saturday after the tryout to let you know if you have been chosen to be a part of the Cheerleading Program. If you make the team, please bring a calendar and writing utensil to the mandatory meeting and practice on Sunday. Parents and family are welcome to join us on Sunday. We will fit you for uniforms and take your picture for our website following the meeting. Our first practice as a team will take place after our post-tryout meeting on Sunday. Plan on being on campus until 4:00 p.m. on Sunday if you make the team.
Please complete the Application form and Medical Release form and bring both forms with you to the first clinic. Additionally, there will be a $10 registration fee which you will need to pay at the first clinic. If you have any questions, contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the Medical Release form needs to be filled out by all those wishing to tryout and will need a doctor's signature.