Nov. 21, 2013
Five Things You Need To Know
- The Bearcats compete for the first time in two weeks when they head to the Pittsburgh Invitational. The meet will be held at Pitt's Trees Pool, Friday-Sunday, Nov. 22-24. The competition includes the host Panthers, California (Pa.), St. Bonaventure, Fairmont State, West Virginia Wesleyan and divers from Clemson and Michigan. The meet is a prelim-final format, with action beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, with finals at 6:00 p.m. Sunday will begin at 9:00 a.m. with finals at 3:00 p.m. The order of events can be found at PittsburghPanthers.com.
- UC is coming off defeats to Western Kentucky on both the men's and women's side. The Bearcats saw freshman Jackie Keire score a pair of individual wins in the 100 and 200 freestyle, while Michael Palleros won the 100 free on the men's side.
- Keire was honored as the American Athletic Conference Female Swimmer of the Week on Nov. 19 for her performances against the Hilltoppers. Keire set Keating Aquatics Center records in both the 100 and 200 free, while also meeting the NCAA B-Qualifying Standard.
- "We want to be sharp at Pittsburgh," said Head Coach Monty Hopkins. "It's a great opportunity for us to get people prelim-final swims. The more people we get coming back swimming at night, the better prepared we're going to be (for the conference meet)."
- Following the Pittsburgh Invitational, the Bearcats will stay on the road but with a much shorter trip as they travel to Oxford, Ohio, for the Miami Invitational. That meet runs Thursday-Saturday, Dec. 5-7, and is another prelim-finals format.