Jan. 27, 2017
CINCINNATI - The first day of action at the Thundering Herd Invitational came to a close late Friday night with the University of Cincinnati women’s track and field team winning three of the four events it had entrants to claim an early lead in the team scoring at the meet being held in Huntington, W.Va., on the campus of Marshall. The 25th-ranked Bearcats saw Naomi Urbano win the pentathlon while Brooke Catherine claimed victory in the pole vault and Annette Echikunwoke took home the top honor in the weight throw. Overall, UC tallied 44 points and leads second-place Appalachian State by 20 points through five scored events. The men, who had entrants in just one event, were led by Macklin Tudor, who took second place in the weight throw.
// WOMEN’S PENTATHLON
- One of the biggest highlights of the opening day of competition came in the pentathlon as four Bearcats competed in five events over the course of four hours with Urbano winning the event with a personal-best score of 3,626 points, which not only moved her up to fourth on the school’s all-time Top 10 chart, but also gave her the meet record by one point. Freshman Katie Straus made a solid debut in the pentathlon as the rookie scored 3,515 points to moved into the sixth position on the school’s all-time Top 10 while Maggie Loeffler finished eighth overall with 3,228 points to add one team point to the ledger. Freshman Angelica Lightfoot also competed in the pentathlon, placing ninth with 3,218 points in her debut.
- Urbano collected her highest point total in the event by recording personal bests in four of the five events. First, she ran 9.33 in the 60m hurdles to record the ninth-fastest time in the pentathlon event before her clearance of 1.68m (5-06.00) equaled the third-best pentathlon high jump mark in UC history. She then closed the day with PRs in both the long jump at 5.33m (17-06.00) - the ninth-best leap in UC pentathlon history - before running the eighth-best pentathlon 800m time in 2:27.38. Overall, she won the long jump and took second in both the high jump and 800m run to put her on top of the standings.
- Straus’ debut was solid as she tallied a trio of marks that now rank among the Top 10 in the program’s pentathlon ledger. First, she raced to a time of 9.03 in the 60m hurdles for the third-fastest time in UC pentathlon history. She followed that with the eighth-best high jump clearance at 1.62m (5-03.75) before closing the night with a time of 2:26.14 that won the 800m run and marked the sixth-fastest pentathlon time in UC history.
- Loeffler and Lightfoot also added their names to the pentathlon event lists on the day. Lightfoot’s debut saw her run 9.12 in the 60m hurdles for the fourth-fastest time before her shot put mark of 11.82m (38-09.50) went down as the fifth-best pentathlon toss in UC history. Loeffler also added her name to the 60m hurdles list with the eighth-best time of 9.29, meaning all four women ran times that now rank in the all-time pentathlon Top 10 in UC history.
// WOMEN’S RESULTS
- While the final marks might not have lived up to the hype, Echikunwoke found a way to win the weight throw as she tossed the ball out to 22.10m (72-06.25) to claim victory by nearly six feet in an event that featured four women that are currently ranked in the national Top 12. The Bearcat junior, who took the national lead last week, did not improve her career-best, but did add just her second toss of 22 meters or better in as many weeks. Also in the same event, Nicole Breeden recorded a season-best mark of 16.26m (53-04.25) to finish 16th overall while Ashley Williams placed 35th at 12.75m (41-10.00).
- Catherine claimed the top spot in the pole vault, clearing a best of 3.80m (12-05.50) to win the event and earn 10 team points in the process. Catherine joined Sadie Brass in the event as both recorded season-best clearances with Brass vaulting over 3.65m (11-11.75) to finish fourth overall and grab five team points.
- In the lone track event of the evening, the Bearcats sent two women out to race in the 5,000m run with Tessa Ward placing 14th overall in 18:17.71 to record a personal-best in her season debut. Samantha Simms also entered the race, but did not finish.
// MEN’S RESULTS
- The lone men’s event of the night that featured Bearcat entrants was the weight throw with Tudor taking runner-up honors with his toss of 17.53m (57-06.25). By placing second, he grabbed eight team points to put the men in fourth place overall while Eastern Kentucky leads with 24. Also throwing the weight were Chris Province and John Zedella. Province, a freshman, advance to the finals and finished ninth overall after recording a PR of 15.62m (51-03.00), the second time he has improved his PR this season. Zedella placed 12th overall at 15.26m (50-00.75).
The Thundering Herd Invitational concludes with the remaining events being contested Saturday starting at noon.
2017 Thundering Herd Invitational - Day 1 (1/27/17)
14. Tessa Ward - 18:17.71 - PR
-- Samantha Simms - DNF
1. Brooke Catherine - 3.80m (12-05.50)
4. Sadie Brass - 3.65m (11-11.75)
1. Annette Echikunwoke - 22.10m (72-06.25) - Meet & Facility Record
16. Nicole Breeden - 16.26m (53-04.25)
35. Ashley Williams - 12.75m (41-10.00)
Pentathlon - Final Scores
1. Naomi Urbano - 3,626 points - PR, UC #4 & Meet Record (by 1 point)
9.33 (842), 1.68m/5-6.00 (830), 10.73m/35-02.50 (577), 5.33m/17-06.00 (651), 2:27.38 (726)
2. Katie Straus - 3,515 points - PR & UC #6
9.03 (904), 1.62m/5-3.75 (759), 9.68m/31-09.25 (509), 5.15m/16-10.75 (601), 2:26.14 (742)
8. Maggie Loeffler - 3,228 points
9.29 (850), 1.59m/5-2.50 (724), 9.51m/31-02.50 (497), 4.89m/16-00.50 (530), 2:35.34 (627)
9. Angelica Lightfoot - 3,218 points
9.12 (885), 1.56m/5-1.25 (689), 11.82m/38-09.50 (649), 5.05m/16-07.00 (573), 2:54.11 (422)
Pentathlon 60m Hurdles (Event #1)
3. Katie Straus - 9.03 [904 pts] - PR & UC Pent #3
6. Angelica Lightfoot - 9.12 [885 pts] - Pent PR & UC Pent #4
9. Maggie Loeffler - 9.29 [850 pts] - PR & UC Pent #8
11. Naomi Urbano - 9.33 [842 pts] - PR & UC Pent #t-9
Pentathlon High Jump (Event #2)
t2. Naomi Urbano - 1.68m (5-6.00) [830 pts] - PR & UC Pent #t-3
t4. Katie Straus - 1.62m (5-3.75) [759 pts] - PR & UC Pent #8
8. Maggie Loeffler - 1.59m (5-2.50) [724 pts]
t10. Angelica Lightfoot - 1.56m (5-1.25) [689 pts] - PR
Pentathlon Shot Put (Event #3)
t1. Angelica Lightfoot - 11.82m (38-09.50) [649 pts] - PR & UC Pent #5
4. Naomi Urbano - 10.73m (35-02.50) [577 pts]
11. Katie Straus - 9.68m (31-09.25) [509 pts] - PR
12. Maggie Loeffler - 9.51m (31-02.50) [497 pts] - PR
Pentathlon Long Jump (Event #4)
1. Naomi Urbano - 5.33m (17-06.00) [651 pts] - Pent PR & UC Pent #9
3. Katie Straus - 5.15m (16-10.75) [601 pts] - PR
t5. Angelica Lightfoot - 5.05m (16-07.00) [573 pts] - PR
12. Maggie Loeffler - 4.89m (16-00.50) [530 pts]
Pentathlon 800m Run (Event #5)
1. Katie Straus - 2:26.14 [742 pts] - PR & UC Pent #6
2. Naomi Urbano - 2:27.38 [726 pts] - PR & UC Pent #8
10. Maggie Loeffler - 2:35.34 [627 pts]
14. Angelica Lightfoot - 2:54.11 [422 pts] - PR
Women’s Team Scores
Thru 5 Events Scored
1. CINCINNATI - 44
2. Appalachian State - 24
3. Bowling Green - 20
4. Georgia State - 18
5. Marshall - 15
2. Macklin Tudor - 17.53m (57-06.25)
9. Chris Province - 15.62m (51-03.00) - PR
12. John Zedella - 15.26m (50-00.75)
Men’s Team Scores
Thru 2 Events Scored
1. Eastern Kentucky - 24
2. Belmont - 18
3. Western Carolina - 14
4. CINCINNATI - 8
5. Ohio - 7