Jan. 28, 2017
CINCINNATI - The Thundering Herd Invitational came to a close Saturday in Huntington, W.Va., with the University of Cincinnati track and field program adding two more individual event victories to its weekend total while also securing 25 personal-best marks and four more marks that rank among the Top 10 all-time in program history. Jimmy Brooks captured the 400m dash in a meet and facility record-time of 47.78 while Macklin Tudor was victorious in the shot put, also with a meet record, to lead the way for the Bearcats.
// WOMEN’S RESULTS
- The only field event for the women on Saturday was the shot put, an event in which all three Bearcats that entered earned a berth into the finals. Ashley Williams led the way as the junior transfer recorded a personal-best toss of 14.91m (48-11.00), a throw that not only earned her a third-place finish in the meet, but also moved her into the fifth position on the program’s all-time Top 10. Annette Echikunwoke was fourth overall at 14.84m (48-08.25) while Alexis Gray finished ninth at 13.45m (44-01.50) as she too recorded a PR and moved onto the program’s all-time Top 10 list for the first time in her career as she now occupies the No. 10 spot.
- Freshman Tiona Lattimore made her collegiate debut Saturday and led the team in both events she entered, placing seventh in both the 200m and 400m dashes. Her first race was the 400m where she turned in a time of 57.13, which is just outside of the program’s all-time Top 10. She followed that with a time of 25.01 in the 200m dash.
- Deanna Gesicki ran the same two sprints as Lattimore and recorded a pair of personal best, too, a she tied her best in the 200m dash at 25.97 and broke her best time in the 400m at 57.31. Alanna Hendricks ran 26.40 in the 200m for a PR while Sylvana Ross ran her first under 59 time indoors, racing to a best of 58.91 in the 400m.
- Aliya Barnes raced for the first time in 2017 and was the lone Bearcat to reach the final of a short sprint event as she placed second overall in the 60m hurdles in 8.66 after finishing fifth in the preliminary round at 8.86. Juliana Puopolo and Grace Winckowski also competed in the hurdle event and each turned in personal best times of 8.96 and 9.51, respectively.
- Five women raced in the mile and all five recorded personal bests, led by Grace O’Donnell, who as 22nd overall in 5:12.44. Madison Dunlap lowered her PR by nearly 17 seconds to finish 24th overall in 5:12.57 while Lianne Masqualier improved to 5:13.34 to finish 26th. Ari Surles (5:22.81) and Sammy Hentz (5:25.07) finished 42nd and 45th, respectively, to post their fastest times in the event as collegians.
- The final event on the track for the women was the 3,000m run with three of the five Bearcats earning personal-bests. Freshman Marina Wrede led the way as she was 13th overall in 10:20.02 while Emma Hensley (10:35.63) and Erin Kennedy (10:49.52) placed 25th and 35th, respectively, as each recorded PRs. Juliana Madzia was 24th overall in 10:35.06 while Cassidy Carey was 40th overall in 10:59.42.
// MEN’S RESULTS
- Brooks put on another display of speed in the sprints as he took part in two events, winning the 400m dash in 47.78 and taking second in the 200m dash in 21.59. In the longer event, Brooks was the only runner under 48 seconds and won by nearly one full second as he turned in a time that now ranks fifth all-time in program history and also stands as both the meet and facility record. Then, he competed in the 200m dash and raced to the fourth-fastest time in UC history.
- Tudor added the second victory of the day for the Bearcats as he captured the shot put crown with a top toss of 17.98m (56-10.25). That mark, which is just under his school-record toss of 18.19m from last year, now rank as the meet record. John Zedella also competed in the event and reached the finals, placing fifth overall in 15.30m (50-02.50).
- In the 800m run, a pair of rookies turned in collegiate PRs with Logan Baker finishing eight with a lowered time of 1:55.01 while Jake Barnes, making is collegiate debut, finished 18th overall in 1:57.45, Michael Vitucci led the way with his third-place finish in 1:53.13 with Jarrod Hart just behind in fifth place at 1:54.01.
- Seamus Collins led the way for the Bearcats in the 3,000m run as he placed 10th overall in 8:32.97 with Dan Huben placing 12th in 8:35.21. Both Nick Grismer (8:41.96) and Spencer Clark (8:51.93) ran personal-best times and finished 15th and 18th, respectively.
- The final race of the day saw the men place fourth in the 4x400m relay with the team of Halen Witcher, Ryan Greene, Baker and Kevin Konkoly combining to run 3:19.62. Witcher turned in the fastest split of the quartet as he ran 48.8 on the lead leg with Konkoly’s anchor leg a close second in 49.5.
- Mykel Chambers raced for the first time this season and led the way in the 60m dash as he was 10th overall in 7.01. Khalid Fuller and Tevin Thompson were just behind him at 7.09.
The Bearcats return to action next weekend at the Charlie Thomas Invitational hosted by Texas A&M next Friday and Saturday, February 3-4, in College Station, Texas.
2017 Thundering Herd Invitational - Day 2 (1/28/17)
15. Alanna Hendricks - 7.81
23. Juliana Puopolo - 7.92
38. Aliya Barnes - 8.07
5. Aliya Barnes - 8.86
9. Juliana Puopolo - 8.96 - PR
29. Grace Winckowski - 9.51 - PR
2. Aliya Barnes - 8.66
7. Tiona Lattimore - 25.01 - PR
30. Deanna Gesicki - 25.97 - =PR
40. Alanna Hendricks - 26.40 - PR
7. Tiona Lattimore - 57.13 - PR
11. Deanna Gesicki - 57.31 - PR
30. Sylvana Ross - 58.91 - PR
34. Tes Corea - 2:26.02
22. Grace O’Donnell - 5:12.14 - PR
24. Madison Dunlap - 5:12.57 - PR
26. Lianne Masquelier - 5:13.34 - PR
42. Ari Surles - 5:22.81 - PR
45. Sammy Hentz - 5:25.07 - PR
13. Marina Wrede - 10:20.02 - PR
24. Juliana Madzia - 10:35.06
25. Emma Hensley - 10:35.63 - PR
35. Erin Kennedy - 10:49.52 - PR
40. Cassidy Carey - 10:59.42
3. Ashley Williams - 14.91m (48-11.00) - PR & UC #5
4. Annette Echikunwoke - 14.84m (48-08.25)
9. Alexis Gray - 13.45m (44-01.50) - PR & UC #10
10. Mykel Chambers - 7.01
15. Khalid Fuller - 7.09
16. Tevin Thompson - 7.09
33. Kelvin Williams - 7.45
13. Kelvin Williams - 8.62
2. Jimmy Brooks - 21.59 - PR & UC #4
12. Tevin Thompson - 22.36
16. Khalid Fuller - 22.60 - PR
1. Jimmy Brooks - 47.78 - PR, UC #5, Meet & Facility Record
5. Halen Witcher - 48.95
7. Kevin Konkoly - 49.44
17. Ryan Greene - 50.33
3. Michael Vitucci 1:53.13
5. Jarrod Hart - 1:54.01
8. Logan Baker - 1:55.01 - PR
18. Jake Barnes - 1:57.46 - PR
10. Collins, Seamus - 8:32.97
12. Dan Huben - 8:35.21
15. Nick Grismer - 8:41.96 - PR
18. Spencer Clark - 8:51.93 - PR
4. Cincinnati - 3:19.82
Witcher (48.8), Greene (50.2), Baker (51.0), Konkoly (49.5)
4. Sergio Acera - 6.79m (22-03.50)
6. Mike Wood - 1.95m (6-04.75)
-- Jordan Hardiman - no height
1. Macklin Tudor - 17.98m (58-10.25) - Meet Record
5. John Zedella - 15.30m (50-02.50)