Feb. 17, 2017
CINCINNATI - Three members of the University of Cincinnati track and field team captured individual event wins as 17 Bearcats took part in the Buckeye Tune-up inside French Field House in Columbus, Ohio, Friday night, the final competition before the team heads into the postseason. The Bearcats posted five personal bests and six season bests on the day at the meet hosted by Ohio State while also adding one time to the program’s all-time Top 10 list.
Loretta Blaut led the way for the women as she captured the high jump title while men earned a pair of event victories as Adrian Valles and Sergio Acera took home the titles in the pole vault and long jump, respectively. After converting times for the women’s mile, it was determined Vanessa Robinson turned in the seventh-fastest time in school history while Grace O’Donnell ran the 11th-best.
// WOMEN’S RESULTS
- Blaut won the high jump for the second time this season, this time clearing a season-best height of 1.73m (5-08.00). Blaut remains the conference leader heading into the conference meet next weekend where she will look to capture her first conference victory.
- Aliya Barnes and Alanna Hendricks both advanced to the finals of their respective events with Barnes finishing sixth in the 60m hurdles and Hendricks seventh in the 60m dash. Barnes ran 8.83 in the preliminary round before running 8.77 in the final. For Hendricks, she ran 7.79 in the preliminary round before posting a time of 7.82 in the final.
UPDATE (10:30pm Friday)
- While the times listed in the women’s mile for Robinson (5:08.89) and O’Donnell (5:11.93) were accurate, it turns out their times actually faster after being converted for track size. With the track being 200m flat (instead of oversized or banked), time adjustments are applied to several events with better times being posted for both Bearcats. Following the adjustment, Robinson’s time is now 5:05.87 and O’Donnell’s is 5:08.88, both of which are personal-best times. Robinson’s time improves her No. 7 position on the program’s all-time Top 10 ledger while O’Donnell, who’s time of 5:09.09 last week tied for 11th all-time, now puts her in 11th by herself.
UPDATE (9:30am Saturday)
- Due to an error at the meet, one Bearcat mark was omitted. In the women’s 3,000m run, Emma Hensley ran a converted time of 10:30.42, which placed her 13th overall in the meet. That time also lowered her personal-best time by nearly five seconds.
// MEN’S RESULTS
- Valles remained undefeated on the season as he won his fifth pole vault title of 2017 as he cleared 5.38m (17-07.75). Valles, who won by four inches, remains among the Top 5 nationally this season and is now set to compete in the conference meet looking to win his third American Athletic indoor title in a row and his fifth title in the American in a row.
- Staying in the field, Acera collected a victory for the Bearcats as he won the long jump with a best of 7.04m (23-01.00). Acera has a better mark this season and heads to the conference meet as the defending champion after winning gold last year.
- Spencer Clark raced in the 3,000m run and lowered his personal-best time once again, this time running 8:43.13 to finish 10th overall. Previously, he ran his best last weekend in Nashville as he finished in 8:43.79. With the track convesion, his time is lowered to 8:37.12.
- The men went 4-5-6 in the 60m dash finals as Tevin-Lloyd Thompson led the way as he ran a season-best 6.99 to place fourth overall. Khalid Fuller, who ran a personal-best time of 6.99 in the preliminary round, placed fifth in 7.01 while Mykel Chambers took sixth in 7.04 after running 6.95 in the preliminary round.
- Kelvin Williams also advanced to the finals in his event as he placed fifth overall in the 60m hurdles in 8.36, just 0.01 off his season best. Williams was sixth in the preliminary round after he ran 8.42.
The championship season awaits the Bearcats next weekend as they will travel to the CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala., to compete in the 2017 American Athletic Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships on Friday and Saturday, February 23-24.
2017 Buckeye Tune-Up (2/17/17)
8. Alanna Hendricks - 7.79
7. Alanna Hendricks - 7.82
5. Aliya Barnes - 8.83
13. Grace Winckowski - 9.42
6. Aliya Barnes - 8.77
3. Vanessa Robinson - 5:05.87 - PR & UC #7
6. Grace O’Donnell - 5:08.88 - PR & UC #11
13. Emma Hensley - 10:30.42 - PR
1. Loretta Blaut - 1.73m (5-08.00)
5. Brooke Catherine - 3.71m (12-02.00)
t6. Lily Bunse - 3.56m (11-08.00)
t6. Sadie Brass - 3.56m (11-08.00)
3. Mykel Chambers - 6.95
5. Khalid Fuller - 6.99 - PR
7. Tevin-Lloyd Thompson - 7.05
4. Tevin-Lloyd Thompson - 6.99
5. Khalid Fuller - 7.01
6. Mykel Chambers - 7.04
6. Kelvin Williams - 8.42
5. Kelvin Williams - 8.36
10. Spencer Clark - 8:37.12 - PR
1. Sergio Acera - 7.04m (23-01.00)
1. Adrian Valles - 5.38m (17-07.75)