April 8, 2017
CINCINNATI - Macklin Tudor broke two of his own school records and Alex Bloom opened the decathlon with another huge performance as the University of Cincinnati track and field program had another banner day in competition at a pair of meets down South. Tudor led the charge for a large group of Bearcats that wrapped up action at the Tiger Track Classic in Auburn, Ala., while Bloom competed in the first of two days of action in the Bulldog Decathlon-Heptathlon that is being hosted by Georgia.
When the day came to an end, the Bearcats at both meets combined to record 22 personal bests on the weekend (so far with Bloom set to compete Sunday) with 14 marks recorded that rank in the program’s all-time Top 10. Included in those 14 marks were the four school records that Bloom and Tudor recorded.
// BLOOM OFF TO HOT START
To say Bloom had a solid say would be a gigantic understatement. The junior took part in the Bulldog Decathlon-Heptathlon at Georgia and finished the first day of the meet in fifth place with 3,979 points, an improvement of 352 points on his previous best Day One total and a total that now ranks as the best first-day performance in UC history. In fact, he is now just one of three men to break 3,900 points on the first day, bettering the previous record of 3,962 points set in 2000 by Mike Yoder and the previous second-best total of 3,924 that was recorded by his current coach, Chris Wineberg. To get to his total today, Bloom recorded personal-bests in all five events.
He opened the day running 11.11 in the 100m dash to collect 836 points and move up to #6 on the program’s decathlon Top 10 as he lowered his previous best by 0.25 seconds. Bloom followed that with a leap of 6.98m (22-10.75) for 809 points and the #5 slot on the decathlon list. He then took to the shot put and improved by 3’ (0.91m) with a best of 12.67m (41-07.00) to collect 647 points and tie for fourth on the UC decathlon list.
Just as he did indoors, Bloom really turned things up when he got into the high jump. In his best event, he cleared 2.14m (7-00.75) to win the event and secure 934 points. That mark not only is an outdoor PR, it stands as the fourth-best (tie) outdoor clearance in UC history and is the best in a decathlon, bettering the mark of 2.13m that Chris Kratsas cleared in 1990. Bloom is now just the eighth man in Bearcats history to clear 7’ in competition. Following the event, Bloom ran 51.37 to earn 753 points in the 400m dash and close out his first day of competition.
// MACKLIN BREAKING RECORDS
Tudor entered the throwing ring in two events and walked away with a pair of Top 2 finishes and two school records. He also improved his standings in the American Athletic Conference where is currently the league leader in the discus and ranked second in the shot put. First up, Tudor competed in his top event, the discus, and won the event with a throw of 61.74m (202-07). That mark, which also broke the facility record, bettered his previous school record of 61.41m (201-06) by over 1’ and pushed his advantage in the league even further (he entered the weekend with a 12’ lead). Then, in the shot put, he tossed the ball out to 18.77m (61-07.00) to take second in the event and increase his school record by over 2’. The first UC man to break both the 58’ and 59’ barriers outdoors, his toss today also saw him add to that list by becoming the first over 60’ and the first into 61’.
// MORE IN THE TOP 10
The women got in on the Top 10 act as well with sprints, distance and throws all contributing to the haul. Meg Westerheide had a great day on the track as she ran a PR in the 800m run of 2:12.70 after running 4:33.79 in the 1,500m run. The latter time placed her eighth in the race and gave her the #2 spot on the school’s 1,500m run list as she dropped nearly 3.5 seconds from her previous best. In the same race, freshman Marina Wrede finished 14th in 4:30.96 to place her name at #7 on the program’s all-time Top 10.
Staying on the track, Tiona Lattimore continued her impressive debut season as the rookie had her hand in two more Top 10 performances. First, she helped the 4x100m relay of Kellsa Mbah, Haisha Bisiolu and Bryana Robinson run 45.47 to place second in the race and record a time that tied the team for the #10 position in UC history. She came back later in the 400m dash to run the single lap in 55.02, the #8 time in UC history.
The final two Top 10 marks came in the shot put on the women’s side. Annette Echikunwoke, one day removed from breaking her own school record in the hammer, tossed the shot put out to 15.60m (51-02.25) to finish second in the meet and record the #3 mark in program history. She was followed in both the standings and the Top 10 list by Ashley Williams, who was third overall and now ranks #5 in UC history with her toss of 15.16m (49-09.00). For Williams, she is now just the fifth woman in UC history to have a mark measure 15.00m or better.
// MAKING THE BESTS OF IT
Several individuals also added strong PRs once again. For the women, Grace Winckowski continues to take time off her runs as she posted personal-best times in both the 100m hurdles and 400m hurdles. Her time of 1:04.22 lowers her 400m hurdles time by another full one second and has her on the cusp of the program’s Top 10 as the #10 time is currently 1:03.82. She also ran 15.23 in the shorter race, bettering her previous best of 16.00 that she ran last week.
On the men’s side, Austin Edwards finished second in the long jump as he posted a collegiate personal-best mark of 7.28m (23-10.75). Fellow rookie Chris Province bettered his discus mark once again, this time throwing the platter out to 38.64m (126-09).
// CLOSE TO THE TOP
Adrian Valles made his season debut and cleared 5.50m (18-00.50) to not only win the meet, but also break the facility record. Valles took a crack at 5.70m as well, but was unable to clear what would have been a life-time best.
On the women’s side, several finishes would be listed higher had it not been for unattached post-collegiate entrants. Loretta Blaut cleared 1.80m (5-10.75) in the high jump to take second, but had the top collegiate mark in the meet. Bryana Robinson was in a similar situation as she was second overall in the 400m dash in 54.21 with only one post-collegiate sprinter ahead of her.
// IN THE BLOCKS
Bloom’s trip to Athens, Ga., will come to a close Sunday with the final five events of the decathlon being contested. Action gets underway at 10:45 a.m. with the 110m high hurdles.
2017 Tiger Track Classic (Auburn, Ala.) - Day 2 (4/8/17)
6. Haisha Bisiolu - 11.91 (-0.6)
12. Kellsa Mbah - 12.34 (-1.2)
13. Angelica Lightfoot - 14.85 (+0.1) - PR
21. Grace Winckowski - 15.23 (+0.6) - PR
6. Haisha Bisiolu - 24.00 (-0.9)
7. Bryana Robinson - 24.43 (-0.9)
2. Bryana Robinson - 54.21
5. Tiona Lattimore - 55.02 - PR & UC #8
11. Deanna Gesicki - 56.38
20. Sylvana Ross - 57.08
10. Grace Winckowski - 1:04.22 - PR
6. Meg Westerheide - 2:12.70 - PR
8. Meg Westerheide - 4:33.79 - PR & UC #2
14. Marina Wrede - 4:39.96 - PR & UC #7
18. Vanessa Robinson - 4:42.32
25. Tes Corea - 4:47.61
2. Cincinnati - 45.47 - UC t-#10
Mbah, Bisiolu, B. Robinson, Lattimore
3. Cincinnati - 3:43.98
Gesicki, Lattimore, Ross, Bisiolu
5. Kellsa Mbah - 5.99m (19-08.00)(+1.2)
18. Irati Mitxelena - 5.44m (17-10.25)(+0.7)
22. Angelica Lightfoot - 5.38m (17-08.00)(+1.3)
2. Loretta Blaut - 1.80m (5-10.75)
4. Brooke Catherine - 3.90m (12-09.50)
9. Lily Bunse - 3.60m (11-09.75)
t10. Rachel Coghill - 3.40m (11-03.75)
2. Annette Echikunwoke - 15.60m (51-02.25) - PR & UC #3
3. Ashley Williams - 15.16m (49-09.00) - PR & UC #5
7. Nicole Breeden - 44.63m (146-05)
9. Alexis Gray - 42.78m (140-04)
16. Ashley Williams - 41.21m (135-02) - PR
19. Annette Echikunwoke - 39.23m (128-08)
18. Khalid Fuller - 11.19 (-0.4)
23. Tevin-Lloyd Thompson - 11.27 (-0.4)
25. Austin Edwards - 11.32 (-0.3)
28. Kelvin Williams - 11.45 (+0.0)
11. Kelvin Williams - 14.93 (-0.1)
25. Tevin-Lloyd Thompson - 22.13 (+0.6)
28. Khalid Fuller - 22.21 (+0.5)
10. Halen Witcher - 48.43
12. Nathan Alexander - 49.01
21. Ryan Greene - 49.85
9. Jaashir Morris - 54.88
8. Jarrod Hart - 1:54.09
16. Nick Grismer - 4:03.56 - PR
18. Dan Huben - 4:05.32 - PR
-- Nick Grismer - did not finish
6. Cincinnati - 41.88
Fuller, Witcher, Edwards, Thompson
2. Austin Edwards - 7.28m (23-10.75)(+1.1) - PR
4. Jordan Hardiman - 1.98m (6-06.00)
1. Adrian Valles - 5.50m (18-00.50) - Facilty Record
11. Nathan Alexander - 4.40m (14-05.25)
2. Macklin Tudor - 18.77m (61-07.00) - PR & UC Record
15. Aaron Deaton - 14.96m (49-01.00)
18. John Zedella - 14.16m (46-05.50)
1. Macklin Tudor - 61.74m (202-07) - PR & UC Record & Facility Record
16. John Zedella - 41.50m (136-02)
19. Chris Province - 38.64m (126-09) - PR
2017 Bulldog Decathlon-Heptathlon - Day 1 (4/8/17)
5. Alex Bloom - 3,979 points - PR & UC Dec Record
Event #1 - 100m Dash
7. Alex Bloom - 11.11  - PR & UC Dec #6
Event #2 - Long Jump
8. Alex Bloom - 6.98m (22-10.75) - PR & UC Dec #5
Event #3 - Shot Put
8. Alex Bloom - 12.67m (41-07.00) - PR & UC Dec t-#4
Event #4 - High Jump
1. Alex Bloom - 2.14m (7-00.75) - PR & UC t-#4 & UC Dec Record
Event #5 - 400m Dash
8. Alex Bloom - 51.37  - PR