Outdoor Track and Field Competes at NCAA Mideast Regionals|
May 28, 2009
The University of Cincinnati Outdoor Track and Field team has 19 athletes traveling to Louisville, Ky., to compete in the NCAA Mideast Regional May 29-30 at Cardinal Park on the campus of the University of Louisville. The event begins at 11 a.m. on Friday, May 29 with field events.
On the women's side, junior Jasmine Cotten will be competing in the heptathlon, long jump, and the high jump, sophomore Kaylon Eppinger takes on the field in the 100 hurdles, sophomore Natasha Burse sprints in the 100 meters, and sophomore Lilian Jelimo will run in the 3,000 steeplechase. In the field, freshmen Mackenzie Fields and Michelle Eby compete in the pole vault.
UC's men's squad has a program-record 13 individuals competing at the Mideast Regionals. Junior Antione Drakeford qualified to run in the 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, and 4x100 relay, but will only be competing in the 400 and the 4x400. The other multi-event qualifier on the men's side is junior Dayo Igeleke, who will run in the 100 meters and the 4x100 relay. Also on the track, freshman Terrence Somerville runs in the 110 hurdles, Randy King competes in the 3,000 steeplechase, and Michael Rutherford runs in the 800 meters. Joining Drakeford and Igeleke in the 4x100 relay are freshman Anthony Chandler and sophomore Chase VanCura.
In the field events for the men's team Troy Cooper competes in the shot put, while Ian Jarman and Chad Hanson both throw in the hammer throw. Additionally, Shane Shockey takes flight in the pole vault, while 2008 NCAA high jump participant Brandon Fitch, looks to return to the NCAA's in the same event.
· In the final tune-up before the NCAA Mideast Regional, Natasha Burse improved upon her NCAA Regional mark in the 100 meter with a UC record time of 11.67. Burse's time broke Charlyn Ray's record of 11.68 set in the 2000 season.
· With NCAA Regional times in the 200, 400, and 4x100, Antione Drakeford ran a NCAA Regional time of 10.46 at the Cardinal Twilight to collect his fourth NCAA Regional mark. Drakeford's time of 10.46 is the fourth fastest in school history.
· Drakeford broke his own school record and the Gettler Stadium record at the Oliver Nikoloff Invitational, while notching a regional-qualifying mark in the 400 with a time of 45.83. Drakeford followed his 400 time with a 45.1 split in the 4x400. Drakeford's time of 45.83 is the 11th fastest time in the country this season.
· Drakeford also set an All-Ohio meet record in the 400 with a lap of 46.39, before reaching a NCAA regional time of 21.17 in the 200 meters.
· Junior Jasmine Cotten set a NCAA Provisional mark in the heptathlon with a score of 5,321 at the Alabama Relays in late March.
· At the Southern Ohio Cup, Cotten improved her regional qualifying high jump mark to 6', which also was a meet record. Her clearance is tied for the sixth-best leap in the nation this season.
· Lilian Jelimo set the UC record and finished fourth in the 3,000 steeple at the BIG EAST Championships with a time of 10:31.54.
· In their first BIG EAST Championships, freshmen Mackenzie Fields and Michelle Eby finished second and fifth, respectively in the pole vault. Fields cleared 12' 11-1/2", which was a UC freshman record and a NCAA regional mark, while Eby cleared 12' 07-1/2".
· Senior Randy King recorded a NCAA regional qualifying time of 9:05.50 in the men's 3,000 steeple at the BIG EAST Championships.
· Troy Cooper reached a NCAA Regional mark and broke Greg Weber's 1983 record of 57' 5" in the shot put at the All-Ohio Championships with a toss of 57' 9".
· Additionally, Ian Jarman and Chad Hanson both reached NCAA Regional marks at the All-Ohio Invitational in the hammer with throws of 195' 1" and 190' 5", respectively.
· Dayo Igeleke and Michael Rutherford reached NCAA Regional qualification marks in the 100 meters and 800 meters, respectively, with times of 10.55 and 1:50.34.
· At the Alabama Relays, sophomore Kaylon Eppinger reached a NCAA provisional mark within the heptathlon with a time of 13.90 in the 100 hurdles, and bettered her time with a 13.88 showing at the Southern Ohio Cup. She has continued to improve and finished third at the Drake Relays with a time of 13.60.
· In the field events at the Oliver Nikoloff Invitational, junior Shane Shockey reached a NCAA regional-qualifying mark in the pole vault, clearing 16' 6-3/4".
· Freshman Terrence Somerville collected a regional mark in the 110 hurdles with a time of 14.14 seconds. Somerville bested his time in the 110 hurdles with a time of 14.06 at the All-Ohio Championships.
· One meet into the season, junior Brandon Fitch recorded a regional-qualifying mark in the high jump with a clearance of 6' 10-3/4".
· The UC men's and women's teams finished fourth and sixth, respectively, at the 2009 BIG EAST Championships. The sixth-place finish for the women's team was its best finish since joining the conference.
· The UC men's and women's teams finished second at the All-Ohio Championships with the men's team finishing six points out of first and the women's team finishing 33 points out of first.
Athletes who qualify for the NCAA Championships will travel to Fayetteville, Ark. to compete June 10-13.