- Considered the founder of UC football.
- Was captain and principle organizer of UC's first football teams in the 1880s.
- Captain of the 1888 team that ventured to Oxford, Ohio to play Miami University in the first collegiate football game in the state of Ohio.
- Devotion to football and sports continued during his long administrative career at UC.
- Introduced a plan to build an athletic field, complete with spectator seating, on the site on which Nippert Stadium stands today.
- The original playing field was named Carson Field in his honor, and the playing surface in Nippert Stadium continues to bear that name.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 2000.