- Known nationally as Mr. Tennis.
- Ohio high school state singles and doubles champion at Hughes High, across from the UC campus.
- Finished second in the singles competition at the 1939 NCAA Championships.
- Also qualified for the doubles competition at the 1939 NCAAs.
- Member of the U.S. Davis Cup Team in 1946, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1953 and 1953, winning the doubles competition on the 1948 and 1949 victorious U.S. teams.
- Captain of five Davis Cup Teams (1953-57), compiling a 13-4 record.
- Captured four doubles titles, four mixed doubles crowns and was singles runner-up twice at the U.S. Championships, later known as the U.S. Open.
- Won the French Open and Italian Open doubles titles in 1950, teaming with UC product Tony Trabert.
- Won a total of 33 national titles and was ranked in the USLTA singles top ten 13 gtimes.
- Named to the National Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame (1967), Hamilton County Sports Hall of Fame (1972), College Tennis Hall of Fame (1984) and the Cincinnati Hall of Fame (2002).
- First person with diabetes to compete internationally in athletic competition.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 1979.