- Standout offensive and defensive end on the 1945 and 1946 teams.
- Played a pivotal role in the success of the 1946 season, which culminated with a victory over Virginia Tech in the Sun Bowl, UC's first bowl appearance.
- Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Onicron Delta Kappa.
- Launched his political career with election to Student Government.
- Recipient of the McKibbon Medal as the outstanding graduating liberal arts senior in 1948.
- Following graduation from the Harvard School of Law, he returned to practice in Cincinnati and entered politics.
- Served as Cincinnati mayor 1967-71, during which he oversaw arrangements for the construction of a new stadium on the riverfront.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 1995.