- Long before he attained the title "Mr. Versatility" as a professional, he demonstrated his variety of skills as a Bearcat.
- Began his career as a quarterback, leading the team in passing as a freshman.
- Moved to halfback as a sophomore and was the team's top ground-gainer his junior campaign.
- Also led UC in receiving in 1958 and was the team scoring leader his freshman and junior seasons.
- Rugged member of the secondary who led UC in interceptions in three of his four seasons.
- Returned a pair of interceptions for touchdowns as a freshman, scoring from 87 and 88 yards.
- Held UC career interception return yardage record when he graduated, a mark since tied.
- Closed his career as UC's all-time leading scorer (127 points).
- Earned All-Missouri Valley Conference honors as a sophomore.
- Played in the North-South, Senior Bowl and College All-Star games.
- Selected in the third round of the 1959 NFL Draft by the New York Giants and continued to display his versatility during his 13 seasons with the club, setting team records as a receiver.
- Successful head coach on the major college level.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 1979.