Governed the emergence of UC's athletics program to national notoriety during his tenure as athletics director.
Came to UC in 1926, and for 11 years served as an instructor in Physical Education, freshman football coach, varsity track head coach and director of intramurals.
Became athletics director in 1936, beginning a 24-year tenure, the longest in UC history.
By building schedules of regional and national power teams, he raised the level of football and basketball, football making three bowl appearances in the 1940s and 1950s and basketball becoming a regular fixture in postseason tournaments by the conclusion of his career.
Oversaw the expansion of Nippert Stadium, whose capacity was increased twice during his tenure, and the construction of Armory Fieldhouse as a home arena for basketball.