Track and Football
- Won four letters in track and field prior to graduating in 1942, but it was some nine years before he took up marathon running which led to his fame.
- Made the U.S. Olympic Team and finished 44th in the marathon in the 1952 games in Helsinki.
- Olympic success launched his marathon career.
- Won the U.S. National Marathon in 1954 and was the national 30,000 meter champion in 1956 and 1957.
- Competed in several Boston Marathons.
- Owned numerous age group records in the ultra-marathon races.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 1981.