- NCAA Singles Champion 1951, runner-up in doubles (partner Bob Molt).
- Starting guard on the 1951 Bearcat basketball team that participated in the National Invitation Tournament).
- Member of the United States Davis Cup teams, 1951-55.
- Compiled a 26-8 Davis Cup record.
- Captain of five U.S. Davis Cup teams (1953, 1976-80).
- No. 1 singles player on the 1954 Davis Cup team that won the cup back from the Australians.
- U.S. Championships (later known as the U.S. Open) singles champion twice (1953, 1955).
- U.S. Championships doubles champion (1954).
- Wimbledon singles champion (1955).
- Wimbledon doubles runner-up (1954).
- French Open singles champion twice (1954, 1955).
- French Open doubles champion (1950; partner Bill Talbert), (1954, 1955; partner Vic Seixas).
- Italian Open doubles champion (1950; partner Bill Talbert), runner-up (1954).
- Italian Open mixed doubles champion (1954).
- Australian Open doubles champion (1955; partner Vic Seixas).
- Sigma Sigma and ULEX member at UC.
- Ranked USLTA Singles top 10 four times, reaching No. 1 in 1953 and 1955.
- National Indoor Junior singles and doubles champion (1948).
- National Clay Court singles champion twice (1951, 1955).
- National Clay Court doubles champion three times (1951, 1954, 1955).
- United States Hardcourt singles champion (1954); doubles champion (1950, 1953).
- National Indoor singles and doubles champion (1955).
- World Pro doubles champion (1956).
- World Pro Singles runner-up (1960).
- William Howard Taft Medal for Notable Achievement from the UC alumni (1994).
- Named to the Hamilton County Hall of Fame (1968), the National Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame (1970), the College Tennis Hall of Fame (1983), and the Cincinnati Tennis Hall of Fame (2002).
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 1977.