Feb. 13, 2014
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati baseball team is set to open the 2014 campaign on Saturday, Feb. 15 against Elon University in Elon, N.C. The first pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. The Bearcats will also play the Elon Phoenix on Sunday, Feb. 16 at 2 p.m. and Monday, Feb. 17 at 1:30 p.m.
The three-game series was originally scheduled to be played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but inclement weather in North Carolina postponed the action by a day.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The University of Cincinnati baseball team will kick off the 2014 campaign in Elon, N.C. with three games against Elon University.
- The game will mark the beginning of the Ty Neal coaching era. Neal served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Indiana University for eight seasons before stepping into his first head coaching role at Cincinnati.
- The first game against Elon is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 14. Redshirt junior Matt Ring will take the mound for the Bearcats in the first game of the season.
- Sophomore Mitch Patishall will be handed the ball to start the second game at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15.
- The series finale will be played on Sunday, Feb. 16 at 1:30 p.m.
- Elon wrapped up the 2013 season with a 34-30 overall record and an 18-11 record in Southern Conference play.
- Elon qualified for the NCAA tournament for the sixth time in program history.
- The Phoenix beat The Citadel 6-5 in the Southern Conference tournament to earn its NCAA berth.
- EU topped UNC-Wilmington twice in regional action to reach the regional final. No. 6 Virginia ended the Phoenix's run at Omaha.
- Head coach Mike Kennedy is entering his 18th season as the skipper for Elon. Kennedy also played collegiately for the Phoenix.
- Both the 2014 preseason Southern Conference coaches' poll and the media poll tabbed the Phoenix to finish fourth in the league.
- Senior second baseman Sebastian Gomez was named to the preseason Southern Conference first team. Gomez led the team in 2013 with a .323 batting average.
THE SERIES VS ELON
- UC is 1-0 all-time against Elon.
- The first and only meeting between the teams took place in 1964 at Elon.
Year Date Site Result
1964 3/23 A L, 6-3