Feb. 20, 2014
Wake Forest Invitational
Winston-Salem, N.C | Wake Forest Baseball Park
Game 1: UC vs. WF | Fri., Feb. 21 | 4 p.m. | Live Stats
Game 2: UC vs. Radford | Sat., Feb. 22 | Noon | Live Stats
Game 3: UC vs. Missouri | Sun., Feb. 22 | Noon | Live Stats
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati baseball team will continue its quest for the first win of the season this weekend when it travels to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the Wake Forest Invitational. The Bearcats will play three games, one apiece against Wake Forest University, Radford University and the University of Missouri.
The Bearcats will face the host Demon Deacons at 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21 and will play the Radford Highlanders at noon on Saturday, Feb. 22 and the Missouri Tigers at noon on Sunday, Feb., 23.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The University of Cincinnati baseball team is still searching for its first win of the season as it heads to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the Wake Forest Invitational. Cincinnati will be joined by Wake Forest University, Radford University and the University of Missouri at the tournament.
- The Bearcats will travel back to North Carolina after opening the season Feb. 16 and 17 against Elon University in Raleigh, N.C.
- UC received some good outings from its bullpen last weekend, with Grant Walker, Mike Conrad and Bryan Chenoweth all getting the call for the Bearcats. Walker threw 3.0 innings in the 6-5 10th-inning loss on Sunday, scattering four hits with two strikeouts. Conrad also took to the mound on Sunday, going 2.1 innings with two strikeouts. Chenoweth threw a gem from the pen on Monday, going 4.0 innings and only allowing one hit with three strikeouts. Overall, neither the relief pitchers nor Sunday starter Matt Ring allowed a walk to Elon.
- Sophomore Ian Happ proved his preseason accolades were more than just hype against Elon. In the first game, the shortstop got on base in all five of his plate appearances with two hits, two walks and a hit by pitch. He recorded a 1.000 on base percentage and a 1.500 slugging percentage in the game and hit a double with two outs in the ninth inning to drive in two runs then scored the tying run on a single by Colin Hawk.
- Sophomore catcher Woody Wallace threw out two attempted base stealers in the game on Monday, ranking first in the American Athletic Conference for the opening weekend.
SCOUTING WAKE FOREST
- Wake Forest enters the game on Friday with a 3-2 record. The Demon Deacons have picked up wins over Georgetown, Marshall and Davidson.
- WF was picked to finish sixth in the ACC Atlantic Division.
- The Demon Deacons have 11 newcomers to the team this season.
- The team is led by a contingent of recutning field players including Evan Shephens, Charlie Morgan, Jack Carey, Matt Conway, and Conor Keniry.
- The pitching staff is paced by its returners of Jack Fischer, Matt Pirro, Conway, and Nate Jones.
- 10 of the team's first 12 games are played at home at the Wake Forest Baseball Park.
THE SERIES VS WAKE FOREST
- UC has a 1-6 overall record against the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest, with all seven matches taking place in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- The last matchup was a 7-0 Wake Forest victory on Feb. 25, 2012.
- Cincinnati's lone win in the series came on Feb. 27, 2005, a 5-2 affair.
WAKE FOREST SERIES: 1-6
Year Date Site Result
2002 2/22 A L, 3-2
2002 2/23 A L, 6-1
2002 2/24 A L, 9-5
2005 2/25 A L, 10-9 (12)
2005 2/26 A L, 11-7
2005 2/27 A W, 5-2
2012 2/25 A L, 7-0
- Radford has recorded a 1-3 overall record with a win over Georgia Tech and losses to Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion and North Carolina A&T.
- The Highlanders were selected to finish third in the Big South North Division among a vote of the league's head coaches.
- The Highlanders return their three top scorers from a season ago. Josh Reavis hit .319 in 2013 with 58 hits while Josh Gardiner hit .308 and added 69 hits and 47 runs scored and Zach Woolcock hit .299 with 56 hits.
- Both of Radford's top pitchers from the 2013 season recutn for the Highlanders in 2014. Tyler Costello recorded a 4.01 ERA and a 7-4 record while throwing 89.2 innings. Michael Boyle had a 4.76 ERA with a 5-3 record.
THE SERIES VS RADFORD
- Saturday's game against the Highlanders of Radford will be the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
- Missouri has amassed a 2-1 record through the opening weekend of the 2014 season. The Tigers beat Southern Mississippi and Chicago State but fell to McNeese State by a 3-2 margin.
- In its first three games, the Mizzou bullpen combined for 12.2 shutout innings and allowed just two hits and a walk with 11 strikeouts and a 0.24 WHIP. Seven bullpen arms combined for those stats.
- Tigers senior Shane Segovia is hitting .382 over the last 17 games dating back to last season as he recovered from a slew of injuries.
THE SERIES VS MISSOURI
- Cincinnati and Missouri have played twice in program history, with both matches coming in 1907. No scores were recorded for either game, however, so the teams will be starting with a clean record.
Year Date Site Result
1907 6/17 A N/A
1907 6/18 A N/A