March 10, 2014
Cincinnati vs. Dayton
Dayton, Ohio | Time Warner Cable Stadium
Tuesday, March 11 | 3 p.m. | Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will play one midweek matchup this week with a 3 p.m. tilt against the University of Dayton on Tuesday, March 11 at UD’s Time Warner Cable Stadium.
The Bearcats are coming off a two-win weekend, picking up 12-9 and 1-0 victories over Youngstown State at Marge Schott Stadium.
Freshman Andrew Zellner (Farmersville, Ohio/Valley View) was named to the American Athletic Conference baseball honor roll for his 7.1 inning performance against the Penguins on Saturday, March 8. He recorded a career-high four strikeouts and did not allow a run, combining with redshirt sophomore Connor Walsh (Wayne, Pa./Radnor) for the shutout.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Sophomore Mitch Patishall will get the start for the Bearcats. The righty has an ERA of 7.24 on the season through 13.2 innings pitched. He earned three starts to start the season and entered from the bullpen during the second game of a doubleheader at Kentucky, pitching 4.0 innings with three strikeouts.
- Senior Justin Glass enters the game with 181 consecutive starts, ranking him second in the NCAA. Additionally, Glass’ 181 consecutive starts leads the nation of all players that have started every game of their career.
- The Flyers are 3-10 on the season and are losers of their last seven games.
- Dayton has recorded wins over Wofford, Ball State and Belmont.
- Sophomore Aaron Huesman leads the team with 16 hits and a .327 batting average through 13 games. He also has recorded a slugging percentage of .510 and an on-base percentage of .377.
- The Flyers were picked to finish 10th out of 12 teams in the Atlantic-10 Conference. UD won the A-10 regular season and tournament titles in 2012.
- On Feb. 17, Dayton’s Aaron Huesman was picked as the A-10 Co-Player of the Week.
- UD’s Charlie Dant was named A-10 Co-Pitcher of the Week on Feb. 24 and Mark Giesler was named A-10 Rookie of the Week on the same day.
- Zach Shira is the reigning A-10 Rookie of the Week after batting .400 last weekend.
THE SERIES VS DAYTON
- Cincinnati and Dayton share a very storied history and will be playing their 133rd game against each other on Tuesday, March 11.
- UC leads the series 86-46 and has won five of the last seven meetings.
- In the last meeting, played on March 28, 2012 in Dayton, Ohio, the Bearcats won 17-8. Senior Justin Glass had a career-high five RBIs in the game and senior Matt Williams hit a grand slam.