March 20, 2017
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati baseball team will play a pair of midweek games, facing No. 1 Louisville on Tuesday, March 21 at 6 p.m. in Marge Schott Stadium before heading on the road to face Indiana at 6:05 p.m. on Wednesday, March 22 inside Bart Kaufman Field.
The Bearcats (9-9) took two of three from visiting Northeastern over the weekend, splitting a Saturday doubleheader and winning a Sunday matchup. The top-ranked Cardinals have won 19 in-a-row to open the season and swept Boston College at home this past weekend. Indiana (9-8-1) won three of four games at Hawai‘i last week.
This is UC's first game versus a No. 1 ranked team since the opening series of the 2006 season at No. 1 Florida. UC was 0-3 against the Gators in that series.
Live video and audio will be available through BearcatsTV for the Louisville game while a live audio stream will be available for the Indiana road game.
// BUMPASS ON THE HONOR ROLL
• sophomore A.J. Bumpass (Rougemont, N.C./Northern) was named to the American Athletic Conference Honor Roll on Monday after leading his team to a 3-1 week with wins over Miami (Ohio) and Northeastern.
• Bumpass led the team with a .583 batting average, .688 on-base percentage, and a .917 slugging percentage. He recorded seven hits, including a 6-for-10 performance in a Saturday doubleheader vs. the Huskies, and was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle in the second game.
• He was 0-for-1 in the rubber match on Sunday but finished with a career-high three walks. Additionally, he struck out only one time in four games on the week while scoring two runs and collecting an RBI.
• It is the third weekly conference honor for the Bearcats this season and the second for Bumpass. The sophomore also earned the accolade on Feb. 27 while senior pitcher Andrew Zellner (Farmersville, Ohio/Valley View) was on the honor roll on March 13.
// UC VS. LOUISVILLE
• The Bearcats and the Cardinals have met 182 times in their history. The first game between the teams was played back on April 18, 1924, a 13-6 UC victory in Louisville.
• The teams have been a part of several conferences together but now play each year as a non-conference mid-week rival.
• The Cardinals have won the last 12 meetings in the series, including a 7-1 victory on May 3, 2016, in Louisville.
• The last Cincinnati win was a 5-2 decision on April 10, 2011, at MSS.
// UC AT INDIANA
• The Bearcats and Hoosiers will meet for the second time this season and 26th time in program history. UC knocked off the Hoosiers 6-1 on March 1, 2017, at Marge Schott Stadium.
• Indiana leads the overall series 15-10, however, Cincinnati holds a 3-1 advantage in the most recent games.
• UC Head Coach Ty Neal came to Cincinnati from Indiana where he spent eight seasons as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator for the Hoosiers. Additionally, assistant coach Ted Tom and volunteer assistant coach Dustin Coffman also spent time on the IU coaching staff while Coffman earned his degree in exercise science from Indiana in 2009.
• The Bearcats have three players from the state of Indiana, junior Treg Haberkorn (Leo, Ind./Leo), freshman Wyatt Schwing (Aurora, Ind./South Dearborn) and freshman Josh Wooten (Carmel, Ind./North Central).
// RECAPPING THE FIRST UC-IU MEETING OF THE SEASON
• The Bearcats scored two in the bottom of the third, but did most of their damage in the bottom of the sixth, plating four runs and getting nine innings of three-hit, one-run ball from four pitchers in the win.
• Cam Alldred (Batavia, Ohio/Cincinnati Country Day) was 2-for-4 with an RBI and run scored on the evening. A.J. Bumpass (Rougemont, N.C./Northern), Connor McVey (Mason, Ohio/Mason), Kyle Mottice (Canal Fulton, Ohio/Jackson), Ryan Noda (Volo, Ill./Grant) and Eric Santiago (Bethlehem, Pa./Notre Dame Green Pond) all recorded RBI during the game.
• A.J. Olasz (West Mifflin, Pa./West Mifflin Area) got the win, giving up a single run and two hits in three innings of work, striking out a pair. Clayton Colvin (Dublin, Ohio/Jerome) had four innings of shutout relief, giving up a single hit, striking out one and walking one. Jarod Yoakam (Marysville, Ohio/Marysville) and Reese Robinson (Dayton, Ohio/Centreville) pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth inning, respectively, to close out the win in UC’s first midweek game of the campaign.
• Cal Kruger took the loss for the Hoosiers, giving up a pair of runs in three innings of work. Laren Eustace had a hit, walk and run scored and IU’s other hits were recorded by Ryan Fineman and Tony Butler.
// FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
For all the latest information on Cincinnati baseball, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up to the minute updates, follow Cincinnati baseball (@GoBearcatsBASE) and Coach Neal (@Ty_Neal_UC) on twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Facebook.
// TICKET INFORMATION
Season tickets for all 24 home games can be purchased for as little $15. For more information, visit GoBEARCATS.com/tickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX. Single-game tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for youths (ages 4-12) and seniors (ages 65 and up).