March 27, 2014
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will welcome USF for three games this weekend at Marge Schott Stadium. The series will kick off at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, March 28 and will continue at 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 29 and 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 30.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The Bearcats will turn to redshirt sophomore Connor Walsh to take the mound on Friday night in game No. 1.
- The USF Bulls are 15-9 on the season with a 2-1 record in the American Athletic Conference.
- In its opening conference weekend. USF took two of three games from UConn in Tampa, Fla. The Bulls won by scores of 2-1 and 6-2 and lost 4-2 in the final game.
- USF lost 9-0 to No. 30 Florida International in its last outing on March 25.
- USF touts starting RHP Jimmy Herget, the American Athletic Conference preseason Pitcher of the Year. The sophomore has an ERA of 1.16 and has struck out 21 batters in six appearances.
- Redshirt sophomore infielder Nik Alonso was named to the preseason All-American Athletic Conference team along with Herget.
- The Bulls have a high-potency offense and currently rank second in the conference with 141 runs scored.
- USF was picked to finish fifth in the league in a preseason poll of head coaches.
THE SERIES VS USF
- The Bearcats and the Bulls of USF have met 49 previous times in history and the Bulls have a 34-15 advantage in those games.
- The first meeting between the teams came back on April 12, 2006. The Bearcats lost 14-6 in Cincinnati.
- USF has won the past eight games in the series by a combined score of 54-22. The Bulls have scored eight runs in each of their last four victories.
- Throughout the series, USF holds three win streaks of at least six games, including the current eight-game win streak.