April 7, 2014
Joe Nuxhall Invitational
Oxford, Ohio | McKie Field
Game 1: UC vs. WSU | Tues., April 8 | 3 p.m. | Live Stats
Game 2: UC vs. MU/XU | Wed., April 9 | TBA | Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team looks to bounce back from a disappointing weekend of conference action at the Joe Nuxhall Classic in Oxford, Ohio on the campus of Miami (Ohio) University. The Bearcats will face the Raiders of Wright State University on Tuesday, April 8 at 3 p.m. and will face with Xavier University or Miami on Wednesday, April 9 at either 3 p.m. or 6:30 p.m.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Cincinnati, Xavier, Miami (Ohio) and Wright State will be competing in the sixth-annual Joe Nuxhall Classic this week in Oxford, Ohio on the campus of Miami University.
- The Wright State Raiders are the two-time defending champions of the Classic, having won in 2012 and 2013.
- Cincinnati will be looking for its third championship title at the Joe Nuxhall Classic. The Bearcats won back-to-back titles in 2010 and 2011.
- Xavier won the inaugural championship in 2009 and Miami has never won the tournament.
- UC has advanced to the championship game in three of the five years of the tournament.
- The Bearcats failed to win a game at the Classic in both 2012 and 2009.
- The rotating tournament will be held at Miami for the third time. It was also played in Oxford in 2012 and in 2010.
- Cincinnati plays Wright State University in the first game at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, April 8. The Bearcats beat the Raiders 12-3 on March 18 in a game played at Marge Schott Stadium. Devin Wenzel had two hits, three RBIs and scored two runs in the win.
- UC topped MU 8-7 following an Ian Happ walk-off homerun on April 1 also at MSS. The Bearcats came from 7-0 down in the sixth inning to score eight unanswered for the win.
SCOUTING WRIGHT STATE
- Wright State is 15-14 on the season and have an impressive 9-2 record in Horizon League play.
- Michael Timm leads the team with a .314 batting average among regular starters. He has accumulated a team-high 33 hits with eight doubles, 19 RBIs and 17 runs scored.
- Seven different players have hit a homerun for the Raiders this season for a team total of 10 long balls.
- On the mound reliever Andrew Elliott has put together an impressive campaign with a 0.57 ERA through 12 appearances. He has pitched 15.2 innings with six hits, one runs, nine walks and 21 strikeouts.
- Joey Hoelzel has pitched a team-high 59.0 innings with 41 strikeouts.
- Since the last meeting against Cincinnati, WSU has had a 6-4 record with wins over Oakland (3), Youngstown State (2), and Valparaiso.
THE SERIES VS WRIGHT STATE
- Cincinnati and Wright State have matched up 74 prior times with the Raiders holding a slight 38-35-1 advantage.
- Cincinnati won the most recent matchup earlier this season 12-3on March 18 at Marge Schott Stadium.
- The Raiders are winners of four of the last six meetings between the two teams and won a 19-16 shootout on April 10, 2013.
- The series between UC and WSU began back in 1971 with a doubleheader that UC swept at home.
SCOUTING MIAMI (OHIO)
- Miami is 12-17 on the season and 4-5 in the MAC.
- Dan Walsh, one of only two players to have started all but one game (nobody has started all games), leads the team with a .333 batting average in 111 at bats. He has 37 hits on the season with a .441 slugging percentage and a .403 on-base percentage.
- Seth Verner leads from the pitching mound with an ERA of 3.31 after eight starts. He has 57 strikeouts to go along with just 18 walks and 19 earned runs.
- The RedHawks took two of three games from Akron last weekend.
- Miami will face Xavier in the first game of the Joe Nuxhall Classic on Tuesday, April 8.
THE SERIES VS MIAMI (OHIO)
- UC and MU have met 170 times in program history. The Redhawks lead the series 101-68-1 and have won three of the last five meetings.
- Cincinnati won the last game of the series 8-7 on April 1 in dramatic fashion as UC sophomore Ian Happ hit a walk-off homerun to cap an eight-run comeback for the Bearcats.
- The teams split a home-and-home series last season with the Bearcats winning 15-6 in Cincinnati and the Redhawks winning 9-4 in Oxford, Ohio.
- The first game in the series dates all the way back to 1886, a 14-5 Cincinnati win in Oxford.
- Xavier is 16-13 on the season and 3-0 in their first season as a member of the BIG EAST Conference.
- The Musketeers have picked up some quality wins this season including a 2-1 victory over the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Feb. 21.
- Derek Hasenbeck leads the way with a .319 batting average, a .420 slugging percentage and a .444 on-base percentage.
- Joe Forney tops the team with 39 hits this year, including 13 doubles.
- Vinny Nittoli leads all XU starting pitchers with a 2.03 ERA in 40,0 innings pitched with nine earned runs, eight walks and 33 strikeouts.
THE SERIES VS XAVIER
- Cincinnati leads the series over Xavier 87-48-1.
- The Bearcats have won three-straight games after losing three-straight in 2012.
- Cincinnati won all three games played last season, including sweeping the home-and-home series and winning the matchup during the first game of the 2013 Joe Nuxhall Classic.
- Cincinnati has two seven-game winning streaks in the series and one five-game winning streak.
- Xavier has never won more than three consecutive games in the series.
- The first game of the series dates back to 1947. The Bearcats won the first game although no score was recorded.