April 10, 2014
Cincinnati vs. UConn
Cincinnati, Ohio | Marge Schott Stadium
Friday, April 11 | 6:30 p.m. | Live Stats
Saturday, April 12 | 4 p.m. | Live Stats
Sunday, April 13 | 1 p.m. | Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will welcome the UConn Huskies to Cincinnati for three games of American Athletic Conference play. Games will be played on Friday, April 11 at 6:30 p.m., Saturday, April 12 at 4 p.m. and Sunday, April 13 at 1 p.m.
The series finale on Sunday, April 13 will be the 300th game played at Marge Schott Stadium since its opening on May 20, 2004.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The Bearcats are coming off a championship performance in the 6th-annual Joe Nuxhall Classic played on Tuesday, April 8 and Wednesday, April 9.
- Cincinnati beat Wright State 8-7 in the semifinal and won the title 7-4 against Miami (Ohio).
- It was the third Joe Nuxhall Classic title for the Bearcats in the six-year history of the tournament.
- In the series against UConn, the Bearcats will start RHP Connor Walsh on Friday night. Walsh has a collective ERA of 3.53 with eight appearances and five starts. He will face UConn ace LHP Anthony Marzi who has a 3-3 record and a 3.19 ERA.
- Probable starters for Saturday are Cincinnati’s RHP Ryan Atkinson (2.41 ERA) and UConn’s LHP Anthony Kay (3.60 ERA). UConn will throw RHP Jordan Tabakman (2.65 ERA) on Sunday while UC’s game No. 3 starter is still to be determined.
300 GAMES AT MARGE SCHOTT STADIUM
- Sunday, April 13, 2014 will represent the 300th game played at Marge Schott Stadium.
- The facility opened on May 20, 2004 in a game against UAB and has been the home of the Cincinnati Bearcats baseball team for 10 years.
- Aaron Moll was the starting pitcher for the Bearcats in the opening game and threw the first pitch ever thrown in Marge Schott Stadium.
- Brian Beltz had the first hit in stadium history.
- Cincinnati has recorded a winning record in all but two seasons at Marge Schott Stadium, including the 1-2 record in the only games played there in 2004.
- UC has a MSS record of 176-121 for a total winning percentage of .595.
- UConn is currently 15-16 on the season and 2-3 in American Athletic Conference play.
- The Huskies won their last two midweek games played on April 8 and 9 to Northeastern and Brown, respectively.
- UConn was swept in weekend action against Bryant (two games) and Stony Brook last week in its off-week from conference play.
- The team has picked up one conference win against both USF and Rutgers and has lost three (the third game between UConn and RU was cancelled).
- UConn is led by sophomore Bobby Melley who has recorded a .348 hitting percentage. He also leads the team with 39 hits, eight doubles, 23 RBIs and a .471 on-base percentage.
- On the mound, freshman Andrew Zapata has recorded a 1.19 ERA through 10 appearances and five starts with 37.2 innings pitched.
- Senior Anthony Marzi, the projected starter for the first game of the series averages 6.0 innings per start through eight starting appearances and has struck out a team-high 42 batters.
THE SERIES VS UCONN
- Cincinnati and UConn have played 20 previous times with the Huskies holding a 12-8 advantage.
- UConn opened the series by winning five-straight games in 2006 and 2007 and UC responded by winning five consecutive games of their own from 2007 to 2008.
- The teams have split the last four games of the series with UConn earning the series victory last season winning two of the three games in Storrs, Conn.
- The first game of the series was played on March 24, 2006 and Connecticut won 13-1.