April 14, 2014
Cincinnati vs. Xavier
Cincinnati, Ohio | Marge Schott Stadium
Tuesday, April 15 | 6:30 p.m. | Live Stats | Bearcats TV
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will host crosstown rival Xavier University on Tuesday, April 15 at Marge Schott Stadium at 6:30 p.m. UC and XU will continue their storied history in the first of two games between the teams this season.
The Bearcats and Musketeers will play the second game of the series at XU on Wednesday, April 30.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Senior Justin Glass was named to the American Athletic Conference honor roll on Monday for his performance last week. He hit homeruns in three consecutive games against UConn and led the Bearcats with eight hits, six runs scored and five RBIs and also produced a .421 hitting percentage, .552 on-base percentage and a 1.000 slugging percentage.
- Junior Grant Walker was named the Joe Nuxhall Classic MVP for his complete-game performance in the championship game over Miami (Ohio). He struck out a career-high six batters in the game.
- The Bearcats are coming off a 3-2 week, including wins over Wright State and Miami (Ohio) University to win the sixth-annual Joe Nuxhall Classic.
- Walker will take the mound for UC in the game against Xavier. Through 36.2 innings pitched, he has accumulated a 5.89 ERA and has only 11 walks to 23 strikeouts.
- Xavier’s Trent Astle will take to the mound for the Musketeers on Tuesday. He has pitched 32.0 innings and has allowed 12 walks with 12 strikeouts.
- The Muskies are 20-14 on the season and a perfect 6-0 through the first two weekends of BIG EAST play.
- Derek Hasenbeck leads the team with a .319 batting average. He has collected 44 hits with a team-leading three homeruns.
- Joe Forney also has 44 hits for XU this season.
- On the mound, Brad Kirschner leads the team out of the bullpen. He has pitched 26.1 innings with 27 strikeouts and an ERA of 1.71.
- The Musketeers are winners of four in a row after sweeping conference rival Villanova and topping Wright State in the consolation game of the Joe Nuxhall Classic.
THE SERIES VS XAVIER
- Cincinnati leads the series over Xavier 87-48-1.
- The Bearcats have won three-straight games after losing three-straight in 2012.
- Cincinnati won all three games played last season, including a sweep of the home-and-home series and winning the matchup during the first game of the 2013 Joe Nuxhall Classic.
- Cincinnati has two seven-game winning streaks in the series and one five-game winning streak.
- Xavier has never won more than three consecutive games in the series.
- The first game of the series dates back to 1947. The Bearcats won the first game although no score was recorded.