April 29, 2014
||Cincinnati vs. Northern Kentucky
Cincinnati, Ohio | Marge Schott Stadium
Tuesday, April 29 | 6:30 p.m. | Live Stats | Bearcats TV
Cincinnati vs. Xavier
Cincinnati, Ohio | Hayden Field
Wednesday, April 30 | 3 p.m. | Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will play two games against local rivals this week with a Tuesday matchup against Northern Kentucky University and a Wednesday showdown against Xavier University. UC will meet NKU at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 29 at Marge Schott Stadium and will face XU at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, April 30 at Xavier’s Hayden Field.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The Bearcats are coming off a 1-2 weekend with the No. 12 University of Houston. UC secured a shutout 3-0 victory on Saturday, during the second game of the series. The win was the first win over a ranked opponent since May 21, 2011 when UC beat UConn 7-4.
- Redshirt sophomore Connor Walsh was named the American Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, April 28 after leading the team to the 3-0 victory over UH. Walsh pitched a no-hitter through 5.2 innings and finished his day after seven innings pitched with just two hits and six strikeouts.
- Senior Justin Glass also had a good weekend, batting in seven of the Bearcats’ eight runs in three games. He brought home all four RBIs in the first game, two of the three in the second game and the only run in the third game.
- Overall, the Bearcats finished with 28 hits against No. 12 Houston, the most the Cougars have allowed in a three-game series all season.
- The Bearcats are undefeated in games played on Tuesdays, going 5-0 so far this season.
SCOUTING NORTHERN KENTUCKY
- The Norse are 13-28 on the year and 6-12 in the Athlantic Sun conference.
- NKU has a team batting average of .274 with a .400 slugging percentage and a .339 on-base percentage.
- Northern Kentucky is led by Logan Spurlin and Cody Kuzniczizi who each have 50 hits to date.
- Jordan Precyshen has 10 homeruns to pace a powerful offense.
- Combined, the Norse have hit 117 extra base hits, including 82 doubles, seven triples and 28 homeruns.
- On the mound, Northern Kentucky has a 7.32 ERA with eight different pitchers recording at least one start on the year.
- Wendell Wright leads the team with a 5.17 ERA through 47.0 innings pitched.
THE SERIES VS NKU
- Cincinnati will face Northern Kentucky for the 34th time in program history.
- The Bearcats and the Norse were scheduled to play at NKU on March 25 but the game was rained out.
- In the last meeting between the schools on March 20, 2013, UC took a narrow 4-3 victory in a game played at Marge Schott Stadium.
- Before last year’s game, UC and NKU had not met since 1996.
- The longest winning streak in series history by either team was a five-game streak for Cincinnati dating from April 18, 1974 to April 12, 1976.
- The Norse have never won more than two games in a row in the series.
- Xavier enters the week with a 22-18 record and a 7-2 mark in the BIG EAST Conference.
- Derek Hasenbeck leads the Musketeers consistent starters with a .307 batting average. He has recorded 50 hits with 18 RBIs and 25 runs scored.
- Through 40 games, the Muskies have a 4.25 ERA with Vinny Nittoli leading the chage with a 1.83 personal ERA.
- In their last two games, the Musketeers split a home and home series with Northern Kentucky with each school winning in its home park.
- XU had gotten off to a perfect 6-0 start in conference play before dropping two of three at Butler in its last league series.
THE SERIES VS XU
- Cincinnati leads the series over Xavier 88-48-1.
- UC won the first matchup of the series on April 15, a 2-0 shutout victory. Junior Grant Walker threw his first-career complete game shutout to earn the win.
- The Bearcats have now won four straight games after losing three straight in 2012.
- Cincinnati won all three games played last season, including a sweep of the home-and-home series and a win during the first game of the 2013 Joe Nuxhall Classic.
- Cincinnati has two seven-game winning streaks in the series and one five-game winning streak.
- Xavier has never won more than three consecutive games in the series.
- The first game of the series dates back to 1947. The Bearcats won the first game although no score was recorded.