May 2, 2014
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will head to West Point, N.Y., to take on the United States Military Academy for three games of non-conference action. The games will be played from Army’s Doubleday Field and will take place on Friday, May 2 at 7 p.m., Saturday, May 3 at 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 4 at 1 p.m.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Redshirt sophomore Connor Walsh was named the American Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, April 28 after leading the team to the 3-0 victory over No. 12 Houston. Walsh pitched a no-hitter through 5.2 innings and finished his day after seven innings pitched with just two hits and six strikeouts.
- Senior Justin Glass also had a good weekend against Houston, batting in seven of the Bearcats’ eight runs in three games. He brought home all four RBIs in the first game, two of the three in the second game and the only run in the third game.
- Cincinnati is playing its last non-conference series of the season against Army.
THE SERIES VS ARMY
- Army enters the weekend with a 32-13 overall record and a 9-5 mark in the Patriot League.
- The Black Knights come into the series as winners of 10 of the last 11 games, including an 8-1 record in conference play.
- The only blemish on the Army schedule in the last 11 games was a 4-0 defeat at the hands of rival Navy.
- Army finished the Patriot League season with a 9-5 record to earn a share of the conference regular season championship. The school will share the title with Bucknell.
- The Black Knights are led by Daniel Cortes who has accumulated a .308 batting average through 33 games played.
- Jon Crucitti has a team-high 46 hits and 32 runs scored.
- On the mound, Gunnar Carroll has made 11 starting appearances with just a 1.85 ERA. Ha has 46 strikeouts this season to just 12 walks.
- Cincinnati and Army have only met once in program history, a 3-1 UC victory back on March 22, 1969.