May 7, 2014
Cincinnati vs. Toledo
Cincinnati, Ohio | Marge Schott Stadium
Wednesday, May 7 | 6:30 p.m. | Live Stats | Bearcats TV
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team will host its final midweek game of the season on Wednesday, May 7 when it welcomes the University of Toledo for a 6:30 p.m. tilt. The Bearcats will look to build off the momentum of their recent three-game sweep at the United States Military Academy last weekend.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Cincinnati won all three games at Army to earn its first three-game series sweep of the season. It also was the team’s first road sweep since winning three games at Georgetown in 2011.
- Redshirt sophomore Connor Walsh was named to the American Athletic Conference weekly honor roll on Monday, May 5 after his exceptional outing against Army on Saturday, May 3. The righty threw his third complete game of the season and allowed only five hits against a potent Army offense. He struck out five batters and walked only one to earn his team-leading fifth victory of the season.
- Walsh’s third complete game ties him for 41st in the NCAA. It also marks the first time a Cincinnati pitcher has tossed three complete games in a season since Michael Hill and Dan Osterbrock each accomplished the feat in 2008.
- The Bearcats’ 18 hits and 15 runs scored in a 15-3 victory over Army on Sunday was the most for Cincinnati since recording 18 hits and 18 runs against Dayton on March 11.
- Senior Matt Williams played in his 200th career game for the Bearcats on Sunday. He is just the 11th player to hit this mark for Cincinnati and joins senior Justin Glass as the only active members of the 200 club.
- Toledo enters the week with an 19-27 overall record and a 9-12 mark in the MidAmerican Conference.
- The Rockets are coming off a three-game series against Central Michigan where they went 1-2.
- UT is led by Deion Tansel, the only player on the roster to have started all 54 games. Tansel has a .319 batting average with 58 hits, 24 runs scored and 15 RBIs.
- On the mound, Ryan Wilkinson leads the way with a 2.50 ERA through a team-high 86.1 innings pitched. He has recorded 52 strikeouts on the season to go with just 17 walks.
- The Rockets are led by Cory Mee who is in his 11th season as head coach at Toledo.
THE SERIES VS TOLEDO
- The Bearcats and the Rockets have battled to a virtually even 19-18-1 record since 1952.
- Cincinnati has won 19 games in the series, including the last meeting, a 9-7 victory at Marge Schott Stadium on April 3, 2013.
- Prior to the last UC victory, UT had won three straight games dating back to 2010.
- Each team has recorded a six-game winning streak in the series. UC’s came from 1970 to 1973 and included a UT forfeit in 1973. UT’s six-game winning streak immediately followed UC’s and spanned from 1976 to 1994.
- The first meeting in the series was in 1952, a game the Bearcats won 3-0.