May 12, 2014
Cincinnati vs. Ohio State
Columbus, Ohio | Bill Davis Stadium
Tuesday, May 12 | 6:35 p.m. | Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team heads north to Columbus, Ohio on Tuesday, May 13 for its final midweek game of the season against Ohio State University. The game will begin at 6:25 p.m. from OSU’s Bill Davis Stadium.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Freshman Connor McVey was tabbed the American Athletic Conference Player of the Week on Monday, May 12 after leading the Bearcats to three wins last week. He totaled an .800 batting average with a 1.200 slugging percentage and an .824 on-base percentage in four games. He led UC with eight hits and eight RBIs and had four walks. In a comeback win against Toledo, he hit a go-ahead grand slam, his first-career homerun, to put the Bearcats ahead.
- Redshirt junior Matt Ring was named to the conference honor roll on Monday for his performance in the series-opening game against Memphis. He threw his second-career complete game in the final appearance of his career at Marge Schott Stadium. He did not allow an earned run through nine innings and only walked two batters with three strikeouts.
- Senior Matt Williams is currently sitting on a career-high 11-game hitting streak. McVey is on an eight-game hitting streak and has recorded multiple hits in six of those eight games.
SCOUTING OHIO STATE
- The Buckeyes are 28-24 on the season and 9-12 in Big Ten play.
- OSU enters the weekend series having lost three of its last four games, including a 3-1 defeat to Miami (Ohio) and a 1-2 series at the University of Michigan.
- Nick Sergakis leads the team with a .325 batting average through 38 games played.
- Ronnie Dawson and Troy Kuhn have both hit a team-high 58 hits while Kuhn leads the Buckeyes with six homeruns.
- On the mound, Tanner Tully has a team-best 1.79 ERA in 14 appearances.
- A total is six Buckeye pitchers have notched at least 30 strikeouts on the season for a team total of 313.
THE SERIES VS OHIO STATE
- The Bearcats and the Buckeyes are meeting for the 92nd time in program history, with OSU leading 66-23-2 in the series.
- OSU has worked at least five consecutive victories on six occasions during the series, including a 10-game win streak between 1961 and 1965.
- The Bearcats answered a seven-game OSU streak from 1990 to 2008 with a current four-game win streak of their own.
- Cincinnati has won the last four games of the series by a combined scored of 34-17. Two of those games were played on neutral sites while one was in Columbus and the most recent game was played in Cincinnati.
- The first meeting between the teams came back on April 26, 1919 when the Buckeyes won 5-4 in Columbus, Ohio.