Jan. 5, 2013
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2012-13 POSTGAME NOTES
St. John's 53 (9-5, 1-1 BIG EAST), Cincinnati: 52 (13-2, 1-1 BIG EAST)
January 5, 2013 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 8,142
- St. John's leads the all-time series 9-7. The Red Storm lead 4-2 in Cincinnati and 2-1 on neutral sites. The Bearcats lead 4-3 in New York.
- UC Starters: Justin Jackson (f), Cheikh Mbodj (c), Cashmere Wright (g), Sean Kilpatrick (g) and JaQuon Parker (g).
- UC has started the same lineup in all 15 games this season.
- UC is now 5-3 in its BIG EAST home openers. The loss to St. John's snapped a three-game winning streak.
- UC's 21 first half points mark the fewest points they have scored in any half this season.
- Cincinnati has shot under 32 percent (31.3 vs. New Mexico & 31.7 vs. St. John's), its lowest two marks of the season, in its past two homes games.
- St. John's outscored Cincinnati in the paint (34-18), points off turnovers (16-15) and fast-break points (14-6). The Bearcats held the advantage in second-chance points (13-6) and bench points (16-6).
- With 6:02 left in the first half, after a Cashmere Wright triple and UC holding a 19-12 lead, St. John's went on a 24-5 run over 11:18 spanning halftime to lead by 12, 36-24, with 14:44 left in the game.
- Trailing by 11, 40-29, with 12:04 left, UC used a 23-11 run over 10:06 to take a 52-51 lead with 53 seconds left on the clock. Included in that span was a 9-0 run over 2:30 that saw a pair of triples from Wright.
- UC had not lost back-to-back games inside Fifth Third Arena since dropping a pair of games to Syracuse and Marquette on Feb. 7 and 21, 2010.
- UC lost back-to-back games by a combined three points to Maryland (2) and UAB (1) on Feb. 19 and 26, 1995.
- Senior Cashmere Wright scored 23 points, his third 20-point game of the season and 10th of his career, and added a career- and season high 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season and third of his career.
- Wright sits in 33rd place on UC's career scoring chart with 1,122 points. He needs three points to pass George Wilson (1962-64) who sits in 32nd place with 1,124 points.
- Wright had one assist Saturday and is tied for fourth on UC's all-time list with Oscar Robertson (1957-60) who had 425 career assists.
- Wright had four steals and remains in third place on UC's career chart with 178 career steals. He trails Darnell Burton (1993-97) who is second with 184 steals.
- Wright's first double-figure rebounding game came against the Red Storm a year ago in Madison Square Garden on Feb. 8, 2012.
- Junior Sean Kilpatrick scored seven points, failing to hit double digits for the first time in 14 games this season. He sits in 31st place on the UC career scoring chart with 1,135 points and needs 12 points to pass Jim Holstein (1950-52) who is 30th on the list with 1,146 points.
- Cheikh Mbodj tied a career and season high with 10 rebounds, his second career double-digit rebounds games.
- Titus Rubles poured in a career-high 14 points. He was 4-of-8 from the field and 3-of-6 from behind the three-point line and the charity stripe. Rubles added three rebounds and a pair of assists.
- The Bearcats will be back in action on Mon., Jan. 7 at 6:30 p.m. when they host No. 21/19 Notre Dame at Fifth Third Arena. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2 and can be heard on 700 WLW.