Men's Basketball |
Jan. 7, 2009
Recap | Box Score | Quotes
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Providence at Cincinnati l Jan. 7, 2009
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 10-5, 0-2 BIG EAST; Providence – 11-4, 3-0 BIG EAST
• Providence improved to 3-1 in the series with an 87-79 win against Cincinnati. The Friars eight-point (87-79) win was the largest margin of victory in the series. Before tonight’s game, no team had won by more than two points.
• A Yancy Gates tip-in tied the game at 68 with 6:43 remaining before the Friars went on an 11-4 run to take a 79-72 lead with 3:34 to play.
• Trailing by 12 points, 65-53, with 10:55 to play, UC went on a 13-1 run over the next 2:51 to tie the game at 66 with 7:19 to play. It was the first tie since the 7:56 mark of the first half.
• After a Yancy Gates lay-up 17 seconds into the second half cut the Bearcat deficit to five points, a 7-0 Friar run over the next 1:46 gave Providence a 12-point lead, 49-37.
• The Friars took a seven-point lead into the half, 42-35. Providence shot 59.3 percent (16-of-27) in the first half and its 42 points are the most first-half points allowed by UC this season.
• Providence went on a 9-0 run from the 8:26 mark to the 5:57 mark to take a 32-26 lead.
• Trailing 7-3 with 17:24 to play in the first half, Cincinnati went on an 11-2 run to take a 14-9 advantage with 13:52 on the clock.
• UC scored 40 points in the paint, a season high.
• Senior Mike Williams finished with a career-high 20 points, while junior Deonta Vaughn also tallied 20 points. It is the first time since Feb. 27, 2008 that two UC players scored 20-plus points in the same game.
• Vaughn’s 20 points marks his 12th double-figure scoring game of the season and it is the eighth time in his career that he has followed up a single-digit scoring performance by scoring 20 or more points in a game.
• Vaughn matched a career-high with a team-high seven rebounds.
• Williams’ 20 points marks the first 20-point scoring game of his career.
• Sophomore Rashad Bishop finished the game tying his season-high with 11 points and equaled a career-high with six assists. It is the second consecutive game Bishop has scored 11 points.