Jan. 11, 2014
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2013-14 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati (15-2, 4-0 American) 71, Rutgers (7-9, 1-2 American) 51
January 11, 2014 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 10,872
- The game was the 19th meeting between the two teams.
- Cincinnati now holds a 15-4 lead in the series and has an 8-1 advantage in games played in Cincinnati.
- The Bearcats won 8-of-11 meetings against Rutgers while both schools were a member of the BIG EAST Conference.
- UC has now won eight of the last nine games starting with a 72-68 overtime win in New Jersey on Feb. 9, 2008.
- The series dates back to an 84-74 Cincinnati win at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Feb. 10, 1972.
- Head coach Mick Cronin used the starting lineup of Ge'Lawn Guyn (G), Sean Kilpatrick (G), Shaquille Thomas (F), Titus Rubles (F) and Justin Jackson (F) for the 16th time in 16 games.
- The Bearcats won their 14th straight game in Fifth Third Arena. UC won its final two home games last season and is 12-0 at home in 2013-14. It is the fourth-longest home winning streak at Fifth Third Arena (since the start of the 1989-90 season) and the longest of the Mick Cronin coaching era.
- By holding The Scarlet Knights to 51 points, the Bearcats extend their nation-leading streak of consecutive games holding the opponent under 70 points to 24 games. Cincinnati has not surrendered 70 or more points since a 73-66 overtime loss at UConn on Feb. 21, 2013.
- Cincinnati is 4-0 in conference play for the first time since the 2003-04 campaign when UC started 4-0 in Conference USA en route to a 25-7 overall mark, a 12-4 league mark, the conference regular season and tournament crowns and a trip to the second round of the NCAA tournament.
- The first half saw eight lead changes and seven ties between UC and RU. The Bearcats went into the locker room with a 34-32 lead.
- Four free throws by Sean Kilpatrick and five straight points by Troy Caupain broke the back-and-forth action and gave the Bearcats a 52-42 lead with 13:52 remaining in the second half.
- The Bearcats set new season-high marks with 40 free throws attempted and 31 made. The 31 made free throws matched the Mick Cronin era record. UC was 31 of 41 from the free-throw line against Notre Dame in a contest during the 2008-09 season.
- The Bearcats held the Scarlet Knights without a field goal for the final 11:45 of the game. At the time, the Bearcats had a 52-48 lead but forced 12 missed shots to close out the game.
- Cincinnati outscored Rutgers 29-10 in bench points. Troy Caupain led the Bearcats off the bench with 14 points.
- The Scarlet Knights led the Bearcats in points in the paint (30-26), second chance points (9-6) and fast break points (14-9). The teams tied with points off turnovers (13-13).
- With 16 points, Kilpatrick now totals 1,756 for his career. The senior is currently seventh all-time in scoring at UC, trailing Pat Cummings (1975-79) who amassed 1,762 points in his career.
- Kilpatrick played in his 123rd consecutive game versus the Scarlet Knights. He is six games from cracking the program's top-10 in games played and stands third in consecutive games played.
- Titus Rubles had five assists, tying his career and season high marks. He also grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds for the second consecutive game.
- Troy Caupain added 14 points, 10 of which came during a second-half run that helped UC put the game away.
- Shaquille Thomas and Justin Jackson both added 11 points. Jackson added seven rebounds and three blocks despite spending most of the second half on the bench with four fouls while Thomas had a thunderous dunk with 47 seconds left that put an exclamation point on the game.
- Rutgers' Myles Mack led all scorers with 17 points while Kadeem Jack added 10 along with grabbing nine rebounds.