Men's Basketball |
Jan. 12, 2008
Box Score |
Villanova at Cincinnati
January 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH - Fifth Third Arena
Villanova (11-3, 1-2 BIG EAST) 66
Cincinnati (8-8, 3-1 BIG EAST) 69
Villanova leads the all-time leads the series 3-1. UC's win snaps a two-game skid against Villanova since joining the BIG EAST Conference.
· After Cincinnati got out to a 7-2 lead in the first 3:30 of the game, Villanova came back with six unanswered points and grabbed their first lead of the game at 8-7.
· UC Freshman Alvin Mitchell put the Bearcats back on top 12-10 with his first career 3-pointer. He equaled his career-high in points with five in the first half and went on to finish with 12 points on 4-of-12 from the field.
· Sophomore Deonta Vaughn, who netted 20 points in the first half and 29 for the game vs. Syracuse, continued to have a hot hand against Villanova, scoring 13 in the opening period against Villanova. Vaughn finished with 25 points and has scored 20 or more in three straight games. He is averaging 22.8 points in BIG EAST games.
· For the second game in-a-row, Cincinnati took at a nine-plus rebound advantage to the intermission, out-rebounding Villanova, 22-13, in the opening period. The Bearcats out-boarded Syracuse, 23-12, on Wednesday (Jan. 9).
· Senior forward John Williamson scored eight points and pulled down 10 rebounds in the first half for his third double-figure rebound game of the year. He finished with 13 points and a game-high 11 rebounds. It was Williamson's second double-double of the year.
· UC trailed 33-31 at halftime. The Bearcats won for the first time in 2007-08 after trailing at the half (1-7). They are now 5-24 under Cronin when trailing at halftime.
· The Bearcats shot .458 from the field, their second-best shooting performance of the season (.469 vs. Louisville).
· Senior John Williamson and Adam Hrycaniuk became the first Bearcats since Eric Hicks (18 reb.) and Cedric McGowan (13 reb.) vs. UNC-Charlotte on March 17, 2006 to each pull down 10 or more rebounds in the same game. Williamson finished with 11 boards and Hrycaniuk with 10.
· Cincinnati converted 17-of-30 charity tosses (.567) in the game. It marked their lowest shooting percentage from the stripe since UC hit 7-of-14 (.500) at Illinois State.