Men's Basketball |
Jan. 14, 2009
Recap | Box Score | Quotes
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Rutgers at Cincinnati l Jan. 14, 2009
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 11-6, 1-3 BIG EAST; Rutgers – 9-9, 0-5 BIG EAST
• UC earned its first BIG EAST Conference victory of the 2008-09 season with a 71-59 win over Rutgers. With the win, UC improved to 9-3 all-time against the Scarlet Knights and snapped an eight-game BIG EAST losing streak.
• UC trailed by as many as 16 points, mounting its largest comeback since overcoming a 17 point deficit against West Virginia (1/20/07).
• Cincinnati improved to 3-6 when trailing at the half.
• The Bearcats went on a 21-4 run over the first 7:58 of the second half to take a 50-40 lead with 12:02 remaining in the game.
• A basket by senior Mike Williams with 15:23 to play in the game gave UC a 40-38 lead, its first lead since leading 13-10 with 12:48 to go in the first half.
• Back-to-back 3-pointers by sophomores Rashad Bishop and Darnell Wilks in the final minute of the first half capped off a 16-7 run as UC cut a 16-point deficit to seven points, 36-29, heading into intermission.
• After Cincinnati took a 13-10 lead with 12:48 to play in the first half, Rutgers went on a 19-0 run over the next 8:24 to take a 29-13 lead with 4:23 remaining in the half.
• During the stretch from the 12:48 mark to the 3:23 mark, UC went 0-of-16 from the field before Williams connected on a jumper from the left wing.
• By scoring 71 points, UC moved to 10-2 this season when scoring 70-plus points. Head coach Mick Cronin is now 18-10 when the Bearcats score 70 or more points.
• The Bearcats committed only six turnovers against Rutgers, the lowest this season.
• After a 26.3 (10-of-38) field goal percentage in the first stanza, UC bounced back with an impressive 55.2 (16-of-29) field goal percentage in the second half.
• The Cincinnati defense held freshman Mike Rosario under his season average of 17.4 points a game. Rosario scored 11 points on a 4-of-15 shooting performance.
• For the second time in the last three contests, UC had two players score 20-plus points in a game as junior Deonta Vaughn and Williams finished with 24 points and 20 points, respectively.
• Williams’ career-high tying 20 points is his third consecutive double-figure scoring game and his second 20-point performance this season.
• Vaughn finished with 24 points, his 14th double-figure scoring game and his fourth 20-plus point performance this season.
• With his two 3-pointers, Vaughn surpassed 200 made 3-pointers in his career. Vaughn has made 201 threes in his career and is the fifth Bearcat to accomplish the feat joining Darnell Burton, Field Williams, LaZelle Durden, and Steve Logan.
• Williams and Vaughn combined to score 17 points during UC’s 21-4 run to start the second half. The duo contributed 31 of UC’s 42 second half points.
• Vaughn’s nine field goals made is a season-high. He also pulled down a career-high eight rebounds.
In a season-high tying 38 minutes, Bishop scored seven points, grabbed five rebounds, and dished out four assists.