Men's Basketball |
Jan. 16, 2010
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Notre Dame at Cincinnati l Jan. 16, 2010
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati - 12-6; 3-3 BIG EAST; Notre Dame – 14-4; 3-2 BIG EAST.
• A sophomore Yancy Gates tip-in with two seconds to play gave Cincinnati a 60-58 win over Notre Dame.
• With the win, the Bearcats are now 3-5 all-time against the Irish and 2-1 against Notre Dame in Fifth Third Arena. The win also gives the Bearcats back-to-back wins against the Irish for the first time in series history.
• UC earned the victory in front of the largest crowd of the season – 11,589.
• Coming into the contest, the Irish shot 49.6 percent from the field and 42.7 percent from behind-the-arc. Cincinnati held Notre Dame to 40.7 percent (22-of-54) shooting from the floor, including 29.4 percent (5-of-17) from three. The 29.4 percent from behind-the-arc is Notre Dame’s second lowest 3-point shooting percentage in a game this season and its lowest in BIG EAST play.
• The Bearcats outrebounded the Irish, 50-31, and improved to 11-3 when outrebounding its opponents. The 50 rebounds mark the third time this season Cincinnati has grabbed 50-plus rebounds in a game, with the last coming against Xavier (52 rebounds) on Dec. 13. UC is 2-1 on the season when grabbing 50-plus rebounds in a game.
• Cincinnati converted 13-of-18 (72.2 percent) of its free-throw attempts, while the Irish made just 9-of-19 (47.4 percent) attempts from the charity stripe.
• UC committed just eight turnovers tying its second-lowest total this season. UC committed just six turnovers against Gonzaga (Nov. 25) and eight against Pittsburgh (Jan. 4).
• Cincinnati outscored the Irish 16-2 in second-chance points.
• The Bearcats bench also outscored Notre Dame’s, 25-8.
• A 12-3 run out of the half by the Bearcats gave Cincinnati a 37-35 lead with 16:12 remaining in the second half.
• Notre Dame closed out the first half scoring four points in the last minute giving Notre Dame a 32-25 lead entering halftime.
• Cincinnati shot just 29.4 percent (10-of-34) from the field in the first half compared to 40.0 percent (12-of-30) for Notre Dame.
• Both teams took care of the ball in the opening half as UC committed just four turnovers compared to two for ND.
• In the first half, UC held Notre Dame to just one offensive rebound and collected seven of its own.
• The Bearcats responded with a 12-2 run from the 17:10 mark to the 12:46 mark, placing UC in front, 12-9.
• Cincinnati missed its first four shots from the floor and the Fighting Irish connected on three of their first five to take a 7-0 lead 2:37 into the game.
• Senior Deonta Vaughn scored a team-high 15 points and grabbed a season-high seven rebounds. The double-figure scoring performance is Vaughn’s 10th of the season.
• The Gates tip-in with two seconds to play gave the Cincinnati native his fourth double-double of the season. Gates finished with 11 points and 13 rebounds.
• Gates and senior Steve Toyloy combined to hold Notre Dame All-American Luke Harangody to a season-low 14 points on 5-of-20 shooting from the floor.
• Junior Rashad Bishop and senior Deonta Vaughn combined to score Cincinnati’s first 12 points of the second half to give UC a 37-35 at the 16:12 mark of the second half. Bishop was one of three Bearcats players to score in double-figures with 10 points.
• Sophomore Yancy Gates and junior Darnell Wilks each grabbed seven rebounds in the first half to pace the Bearcats. Wilks posted a career-high eight rebounds.