Men's Basketball |
Jan. 18, 2012
Final Stats |
2011-12 UC MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Jan. 18, 2012
Cincinnati (15-4, 5-1 BIG EAST) 70, No. 13/11 Connecticut (14-4, 4-3 BIG EAST) 67
Game 19 ▪ Gampel Pavilion ▪ Storrs, Conn. ▪ Att: 10,167
- Cincinnati: 1 Cashmere Wright (G), 3 Dion Dixon (G), 5 Justin Jackson (F), 23 Sean Kilpatrick (G), 34 Yancy Gates (F)
- Connecticut: 2 DeAndre Daniels (F), 3 Jeremy Lamb (G), 12 Shabazz Napier (G), 13 Andre Drummond (C), 34 Alex Oriakhi (F)
- Cincinnati: Kilpatrick (16 pts., 4 reb.) | Gates (13 pts., 12 reb.) | Wright (13 pts., 5 ast.) | Dixon (12 pts.) | Parker (12 pts.)
- Connecticut: Napier (27 pts., 5 rebs., 7 ast.) | Lamb (14 pts., 8 reb., 5 ast.) | Giffey (10 pts., 6 reb.)
- The Bearcats have won 10 of 11 games.
- UC has won 10 of the last 12 BIG EAST regular-season contests dating to the 2010-11 season.
- The Bearcats are 5-1 in conference play for the first time since joining the league in 2005-06.
- Cincinnati is now 3-7 all-time against Connecticut.
- The Bearcats have won seven straight BIG EAST road games, the most for a league team since Pittsburgh won seven straight on the road spanning the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons.
- The Bearcats have won three straight against ranked opponents on the road (at No. 22/22 Pittsburgh on Jan. 1, at No. 11/11 Georgetown on Jan. 9, at No. 13/11 Connecticut on Jan. 18).
- UC has won six of its last eight regular-season games against ranked opponents dating to last season
- UC led 42-33 at halftime.
- Cincinnati had five players in double figures (Kilpatrick, 16; Wright, 13; Gates, 13; Dixon, 12; Parker, 12) for the first time since Dec. 21, 2011 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
- The Bearcats forced 11 turnovers and have forced 188 over the last 11 games (17.1 per game).
- Cincinnati turned it over just six times against Connecticut and is averaging just 6.8 turnovers in BIG EAST play this season.
- UC entered the game ranked ninth nationally in turnover margin (+4.8). They were +5 at Connecticut.
- Cincinnati has hit 114 three-pointers over the last 11 games (10.4 per game) after knocking down 43 triples through the first eight games of the season (5.4 per game).
- Cincinnati led the BIG EAST Conference, allowing 59.6 points per game in 2010-11. The Bearcats are allowing an average of 59.2 points through 19 games this season, which is second in the league.
- Yancy Gates posted his fifth double-double of the season and the 18th of his career with 13 points and a season-high 12 rebounds. He moved into sole possession of 22nd place on UC’s all-time scoring list (1,268 career points), passing Jim Ard (1,256 points). He is just 11 points behind Kenyon Martin, who sits in 21st place with 1,279 points.
- Sean Kilpatrick scored 16 points, his 17th double-figure scoring game of the season the 34th of his career. He hit four three-pointers, including the game-winner with 2.5 seconds to play, and has made a three-pointer in 18 straight games (3.0 per game during that span).
- Dion Dixon scored 12 points and has scored in double figures in all but two contests in 2011-12 with 55 career double-figure scoring efforts. Dixon moved into 40th place on UC's scoring list with 1,065 career points.
- Cashmere Wright scored 13 points, his most in a BIG EAST game this season and his second straight double-figure scoring effort. He five assists and is averaging a team-high 4.8 assists per game.
- Jaquon Parker scored 12 points off the bench, including 2-of-4 from three-point range. He is shooting .531 (17-of-32) from three-point land this season.
- The Bearcats wrap up a two-game road trip at West Virginia on Saturday, Jan. 21, at 3 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU.