Men's Basketball |
Jan. 20, 2010
Box Score |
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
USF at Cincinnati l Jan. 20, 2010
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati - 13-6; 4-3 BIG EAST; USF – 11-7; 1-5 BIG EAST.
• Cincinnati used a career-night from freshman Jaquon Parker and 20 points from senior Deonta Vaughn to defeat USF, 78-70.
• UC improved to 21-6 all-time against the Bulls.
• The 78 points are the Bearcats’ highest point total in BIG EAST play this season.
• Cincinnati is now 1-3 on the season when allowing its opponent to score 70 points or more.
• UC outscored USF 16-12 in second-chance points. The Bearcats have now held the last two opponents to a combined 14 second-chance points.
• Cincinnati committed just eight turnovers for the game. UC has now committed fewer than 10 turnovers in back-to-back games. It is the first back-to-back under-10 turnover performance since Jan. 10 and Jan. 14, 2009, when the Bearcats turned the ball over eight times against Connecticut (Jan. 10) and six times against Rutgers (Jan. 14). UC has now turned the ball over fewer than 10 times in consecutive games five different times in the Mick Cronin era.
• UC shot 55.6 percent from the field and Cincinnati is now 6-1 when shooting over 50 percent from the floor. The 55.6 percentage is its highest in BIG EAST play and its highest since shooting 57.4 percent against Texas Southern on Dec. 1, 2009.
• Cincinnati closed out the final 4:01 of the first half on a 12-4 run to take a 41-32 lead into the half. Vaughn scored six of the 12 points during the run.
• The 41 first-half points by the Bearcats are the most first-half points in BIG EAST play this season.
• The Bearcats shot 50 percent from the floor (15-of-30) in the first half, while the Bulls shot 48.3 percent (13-of-27).
• UC connected on 4-of-11 tries from behind-the arc in the opening 20 minutes and held USF to 0-of-6 shooting from three.
• An 8-0 run by the Bulls over a 2:08 stretch placed the Bulls back in front, 24-23, with 8:03 to play in the first half.
• Six straight points by USF’s Dominique Jones placed the Bulls in front, 16-15, with 12:39 to play, before UC used an 8-0 spurt from the 12:08 mark to the 10:31 mark of the first half to take a 23-16 lead.
• In his first career start in BIG EAST play and his second of the season, Parker scored a career-high 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting and dished out a career-high five assists in a career-best 35 minutes. Parker also did not commit a turnover.
• Vaughn scored a team-high 20 points, his 11th double-figure scoring game and his second 20-plus point scoring effort of the season.
• Junior forward Rashad Bishop scored 15 points for the Bearcats, his fifth double-figure scoring effort of the season. It is the first time this season and the first time in a year that he has scored 10-plus points in consecutive games. Bishop last registered back-to-back double-digit scoring efforts on Jan 4, 2009 and Jan. 7, 2009, scoring 11 points against Marquette and Providence, respectively.
• Sophomore Yancy Gates hit three of his first five shots and scored six of UC’s first 10 points before recording his second foul with 15:57 in the first half. Gates finished with eight points and two rebounds in 10 minutes of action.