2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Jan. 22, 2009
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Cincinnati at St. John’s l Jan. 22, 2009
Carnesecca Arena – Queens, N.Y.
• Records: Cincinnati – 13-7, 3-4 BIG EAST; St. John’s – 10-8, 1-5 BIG EAST
• The Bearcats have won two consecutive games in the series vs. St. John’s and are 4-5 all-time vs. the Red Storm.
• Trailing 51-40 with 13:16 to play, Cincinnati ended the game on a 31-9 run to defeat St. John’s, 71-60. During that stretch, Cincinnati held St. John’s to 2-of-17 shooting from the floor.
• Cincinnati outscored STJ 21-5 in points off turnovers and 20-0 in bench points.
• The Bearcats outscored the Red Storm 43-21 in the second half.
• UC moved to 4-7 on the year when trailing at the half.
• Cincinnati trailed by as many as 12 points in the first half, marking the third time this season UC has overcome a double-figure deficit to win. The Bearcats overcame 16- and 15-point deficits vs. Rutgers (1/14) and Eastern Kentucky (12/20), respectively.
• UC improved to 11-2 when scoring 70-plus points and earned their first win of the season when being outrebounded by their opponent.
• The Red Storm connected on 14-of-31 (45.2 percent) free throws, while Cincinnati went 15-of-22 from the charity stripe (68.2 percent).
• The Bearcats went 12-of-27 (44.4 percent) from the field in the second half and held St. John’s to 6-of-22 shooting in the second half (27.3 percent). The Red Storm shot 13-of-23 (56.5 percent) in the first half.
• UC shot 1-of-11 (9.1 percent) from 3-point land in the first half, while St. John’s went 7-of-10 from three. The Red Storm also outrebounded UC 20-9 in the first half.
• An 11-0 St. John’s run from the 3:00 mark to the 1:10 mark gave the Red Storm a 37-25 lead and St. John’s took a 39-28 lead heading into halftime.
• A Paris Horne 3-pointer with 3:41 to play in the opening stanza capped off a 17-6 run that gave the Red Storm their first lead of the game, 26-23.
• Cincinnati hit five of its first six shots to open up an 11-3 advantage with 16:39 to play in the first half.
• Junior Deonta Vaughn scored 20 of his game-high 23 points in the second half, marking his fifth 20-plus point game of the season. Vaughn added five rebounds, five assists, and a season-high tying three steals.
• For the second time this season and the ninth time in his career, Vaughn bounced back from a single-digit point performance with a 20-plus point outing.
• Trailing by three points 55-52, with 7:50 to play, Vaughn scored 10 straight points for Cincinnati over the next 3:17 to give the Bearcats a six-point lead, 62-56, with 4:33 remaining.
• After scoring five points in the last two games, sophomore Rashad Bishop put in six points in the first 7:01 of the game. Bishop finished with a career-high 15 points, his third double-figure scoring game of the season.
. Freshman Yancy Gates added 11 points and five rebounds, his 12th double-figure scoring game of the season.