Men's Basketball |
Jan. 23, 2012
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
2011-12 UC MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Jan. 23, 2012
No. 3/4 Syracuse (21-1, 8-1 BIG EAST) 60, Cincinnati (15-6, 5-3 BIG EAST) 53
Game 21 ▪ Fifth Third Arena ▪ Cincinnati, Ohio ▪ Att: 13,176
- Cincinnati: 1 Cashmere Wright (G), 3 Dion Dixon (G), 5 Justin Jackson (F), 23 Sean Kilpatrick (G), 34 Yancy Gates (F)
- Syracuse: 5 C.J. Fair (F), 11 Scoop Jardine (G), 20 Brandon Triche (G), 25 Rakeem Christmas (F), 32 Kris Joseph (F)
- Cincinnati: Wright (17 pts., 4 ast.) | Gates (16 pts., 10 reb.)
- Syracuse: Joseph (17 pts., 6 reb.) | Jardine (13 pts., 6 ast.) | Triche (11 pts.)
- The Bearcats have dropped back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- Cincinnati is now 2-7 all-time against Syracuse and has lost four straight against the Orange.
- The Bearcats are now 2-15 all-time against teams ranked No. 3 in the Associated Press poll.
- The last UC win over a team ranked No. 3 or higher came against No. 1 Duke on Nov. 28, 1998 in the Great Alaska Shootout.
- The last Bearcats win against a team ranked No. 3 came at Illinois on Jan. 26, 1963 (UC was ranked No. 1).
- UC trailed 28-25 at halftime.
- The Bearcats forced just eight turnovers and have forced 204 over the last 13 games (15.7 per game).
- UC had forced double-digit turnovers in each of the first 19 games this season (eight in each of the last two games).
- Cincinnati turned it over a BIG EAST season-high 11 times against Syracuse and is averaging just 7.6 turnovers in BIG EAST play this season while forcing an average of 13.8 per conference contest.
- Cincinnati has hit 129 three-pointers over the last 13 games (9.9 per game) after knocking down 43 triples through the first eight games of the season (5.4 per game).
- Cincinnati led the BIG EAST Conference, allowing 59.6 points per game in 2010-11. The Bearcats are allowing an average of 60.1 points through 21 games this season, which is second in the league.
- Yancy Gates posted his third straight double-double (seventh of the season and the 20th of his career) with 16 points and 10 rebounds. He moved past former National Player of the Year (2000) Kenyon Martin (1,279 points) on UC’s all-time scoring list and is now 21st on the list. He now has 1,284 career points.
- Cashmere Wright scored 17 points for the second straight game, his fourth straight double-figure scoring effort. He also had four assists.
- Dion Dixon scored five points, just the third time this season that he has failed to reach double figures. He added five rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Sean Kilpatrick scored eight points with nine rebounds and a pair of three-pointers. He has made a three-pointer in 20 straight games (2.9 per game during that span).
- Kelvin Gaines saw his first action since the Pittsburgh game on Jan. 1, 2012.
- The Bearcats head to Piscataway, N.J., to take on Rutgers on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 6 p.m. The game will be televised regionally on the BIG EAST Network, locally on FOX Sports Ohio.