2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Jan. 28, 2009
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 25/23 Georgetown at Cincinnati l Jan. 28, 2009
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 14-7, 4-4 BIG EAST; Georgetown – 12-7, 3-5 BIG EAST
• An 11-2 Bearcat run over the final 4:10 of the game gave UC a 65-57 win over Georgetown. The win is Cincinnati’s first win over a ranked opponent this season and its first since defeating No. 15 Pittsburgh, 62-59, on Jan. 19, 2008.
• The 65-57 win marks the first victory over Georgetown in series history. The Hoyas lead the series 4-1.
• With the win, UC improved to 14-7 on the season marking the most wins for the Bearcats in the Mick Cronin era. Last season’s 13 wins were the previous best under Cronin and it took Cincinnati 25 games to get its 13th win.
• The Bearcats improved to 10-0 on the season when leading at the half.
• Cincinnati finished the game with 10 steals, marking the third time this season UC has recorded 10-plus steals in a game. The Bearcats are 3-0 in those contests.
• Cincinnati entered the intermission with a 27-26 lead over Georgetown. The Bearcats shot 50 percent from the field in the first half (11-of-22), while holding the Hoyas to 35.7 percent from the field (10-of-28).
• Trailing 20-17 with 8:04 to play in the first half, UC went on an 8-0 run over the next 4:09 to take a 25-20 lead with 3:55 to play in the half.
• Junior Deonta Vaughn finished with a game-high 20 points, his 17th double-figure scoring game this season. It is the first time this season that Vaughn has recorded 20-plus points in consecutive games and it is the first time he has scored 20 points in back-to-back games since scoring 30 and 23 points vs. Pittsburgh (3/12 – BIG EAST Championship) and Bradley (3/19 – College Basketball Invitational) last season.
• Vaughn dished out three assists, giving him 100 assists for the season. He also surpassed 1,300 career points in the contest, making him the 20th player in program history to eclipse the plateau.
• Freshman Dion Dixon scored all of his 10 points in the second half, his sixth double-figure scoring game this season.
• Freshman Yancy Gates had three blocks in the first eight minutes. Gates combined for three blocks in his past seven games before finishing with a career-high four blocks.
• Sophomore Rashad Bishop finished with a career-high nine assists. Bishop’s previous career best was six vs. Providence on Jan. 7, 2009. Bishop also added six points and six rebounds.
• Senior Mike Williams scored 12 points, his 11 double-figure scoring game of the season and his sixth in the last seven contests.