Jan. 30, 2014
Box Score |
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2013-14 POSTGAME NOTES
No. 13/15 Cincinnati (20-2, 9-0 American) 69, No. 12/7 Louisville (17-4, 6-2 American) 66
January 30, 2014 // KFC Yum! Center // Louisville, Ky. // Attendance: 22,644
- This was the 98th meeting between the Bearcats and Cardinals. With the win, UC now trails 55-43 in the series and 31-16 in Louisville. Louisville had won the last two meetings in the series.
- Louisville is the most common opponent in UC history in the American Athletic Conference and the second-most common overall (Miami University). The teams are scheduled to meet again on Saturday, Feb. 22, at Fifth Third Arena.
- Head coach Mick Cronin used the starting lineup of Ge'Lawn Guyn (G), Sean Kilpatrick (G), Shaquille Thomas (F), Titus Rubles (F) and Justin Jackson (F) for the 22nd time in 22 games.
- UC continues its best start under Cronin both overall (19-2) and in conference play (8-0).
- Now at 22-2 overall, it is the best start for the program since the 2001-02 squad opened 26-2 en route to a 31-4 mark and school record for wins in a season.
- Cincinnati is 9-0 in league play for the first time since running the table (16-0) in Conference USA during the 1999-2000 campaign.
- The Bearcats have now won their first four road games in conference play for the first time since that 1999-2000 season (Kenyon Martin's senior year).
- It marked UC's first road win over an Associated Press Top 15 team since a 58-46 victory at No. 11 Georgetown on Feb. 23, 2011.
- The Bearcats had their 30th run of at least 8-0 to open an 8-2 lead early in the game. After giving up the first basket, a Rubles jumper started the run just 58 second in and was followed by a jumper from Thomas before consecutive dunks from Thomas and Kilpatrick forced a Louisville timeout just 3:15 into the game.
- The 14-0 run by Louisville in the second half was just the 12th allowed by the Bearcats this season. It is the longest run by a UC opponent this year.
- The Bearcats shot 17-18 from the foul line, led by a perfect 11-11 from Kilpatrick. The 94.4% clip as a team is the best this season.
- Cincinnati held Louisville to a season-low 20 points in the first half. The previous low by the Cardinals was 29 versus College of Charleston in their season opener.
- The Bearcats have won 20 games for the fourth straight season and 32nd time in program history.
- The victory gives Cronin 155 wins as head coach at his alma mater. The total makes him the second winningest coach at UC (in total victories), trailing only Bob Huggins' 399 wins.
- With 28 points, Kilpatrick now has 1,873 in his career. The senior ranks fifth all-time at UC.
- Kilpatrick ranks third in career three-pointers made with 278 after connecting for three tonight.
- Kilpatrick also played in his 128th game in the red and black. He is just one game away from entering the top-10 at UC in games played and is just three consecutive games away from setting the UC record in that category (131 by Keith Gregor).
- It was the 11th time this season Kilpatrick scored at least 20 points and the 28th time in his career he has reached that mark. It also marked the 19th time this year he led the Bearcats in scoring and 61st occasion in his career.
- With two blocks, Jackson has accumulated 192 rejections in his career. He ranks fourth all-time behind Kenyon Martin (292), Erick Hicks (256) and Jason Maxiell (252). Jackson also now has 73 for the season, a total which is just shy of the program's top-six.