Men's Basketball |
Feb. 1, 2009
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Cincinnati at No. 21/21 Villanova l Feb. 1, 2009
The Pavillion – Villanova, Pa.
• Records: Cincinnati – 14-8, 4-5 BIG EAST; Villanova – 17-4, 5-3 BIG EAST
• Villanova upped its series advantage to 4-1 all-time vs. Cincinnati.
• UC dropped to 4-8 on the season when trailing at halftime.
• Villanova outscored Cincinnati 41-21 in the second half to defeat Cincinnati 71-50. The Wildcats shot 55.6 percent (15-of-27) from the field in the second half, while the Bearcats shot 18.2 percent in the second half (6-of-33).
• The Bearcats fell to 10-1 on the season when making seven-plus 3-pointers in a game. UC finished 8-of-31 (25.8 percent) from three.
• Cincinnati committed 18 turnovers vs. Villanova, its most turnovers since committing 20 turnovers vs. Memphis on Dec. 29, 2008.
• After a sophomore Alvin Mitchell lay-up with 13:16 remaining cut the Bearcat deficit to six points, 45-39, the Bearcats went scoreless over the next 6:07 and the Wildcats went on a 12-0 run to take a 57-39 lead with 7:09 to play.
• The first half was a see-saw battle with 12 ties and four lead changes.
• Cincinnati outscored Villanova 18-7 in first-half bench points. For the game, Cincinnati’s bench outscored Villanova, 35-24.
• After starting the first half 0-of-6 from the field, Cincinnati finished the opening 20 minutes 11-of-20 from the field. The Bearcats were 5-of-15 from three in the opening half, while Villanova was 0-of-6 from deep.
• Over the final 3:56 of the first half, Villanova went on an 11-3 run to take a 30-29 lead entering intermission.
• Trailing 18-17, UC went on a 9-1 run from the 6:41 mark to the 5:08 mark to go on top, 26-19, in the opening half.
• A 3-pointer by freshman Dion Dixon with 15:16 to play in the first half was Cincinnati’s first points, as the Bearcats took a 3-2 lead.
• Mitchell scored 15 points of the bench for Cincinnati. It is Mitchell’s fourth double-figure scoring game this season and his first since scoring 16 vs. Charleston Southern on Dec. 15.
• Freshman Yancy Gates scored nine points and added seven rebounds off the bench vs. the Wildcats.
• Junior Deonta Vaughn finished with eight points, marking the fifth time this season he has been held to under 10 points in a game.
• Dixon scored six of UC’s first eight points as the Bearcats and Wildcats were tied, 8-8, with 11:34 to play in the opening half.