Men's Basketball |
Feb. 2, 2013
Final Stats |
AP Photo Gallery
No. 24/23 Cincinnati: 65 (18-4, 6-3 BIG EAST); Seton Hall: 59 (13-9, 2-7 BIG EAST)
February 2, 2013 // Prudential Center // South Orange, N.J.
• UC leads the overall series 8-6, winning for the first time in four tries at Seton Hall. The Bearcats have won the last three meetings.
• UC Starters: Cashmere Wright (G), Cheikh Mbodj (C), Justin Jackson (F), Sean Kilpatrick (G), JaQuon Parker (G). The lineup is 14-2 this season.
• The victory improves Cincinnati to 6-3 in the BIG EAST. It marks the first time in seven seasons in the league UC has won six of its first nine conference games.
• UC head coach Mick Cronin earns his 200th career coaching victory. He is 200-116 in his 10th season as a collegiate head coach and 131-92 in his seventh season at UC.
• The win marks UC’s 13th in its last 16 games away from home dating back to the regular-season finale against Villanova last year.
• Cincinnati trailed 23-19 inside four minutes left in the first half before going on a 14-5 run to take a 33-28 lead at intermission. It marked UC’s biggest lead of the first half after six lead changes.
• The Bearcats scored the first 15 points of the second half to grab a 48-28 on a Sean Kilpatrick three-pointer at 15:00 left in the game. The 20-point lead marked UC’s largest in a BIG EAST game this season.
• Seton Hall answered with a 20-4 run to pull within 52-48 after two free throws by Edwin Fuquan at 6:46.
• The Bearcats sealed the victory with a 7-0 run behind a three-pointer by Sean Kilpatrick and a pair of free throws by JaQuon Parker and Cashmere Wright to take a 63-52 lead with 34 seconds remaining.
• UC has held its opponent below 60 points in five of nine BIG EAST games.
• The Bearcats out-rebounded Seton Hall 40-38. UC has been out-rebounded in only three games this season and once since the start of BIG EAST play. UC ranked 12th in the nation in rebounding margin (plus-8.5) entering the game.
• Sean Kilpatrick scored a game-high 21 points on 8 of 19 shooting with five three-pointers and a game-high seven rebounds. He has scored 20 or more points in eight games this season. He also has made five or more three-pointers in three of the last four games.
• Kilpatrick now has 1,275 career points, moving him into 24th place on UC's career scoring chart. He passes Jim Ard (1968-70) who scored 1,254 points. He now needs five points to pass Kenyon Martin (1997-2000), who is in 23rd place with 1,279 points.
• Cashmere Wright scored 17 points with three assists and a steal. Wright passes Rick Roberson (1,196 points from 1967-69) for 29th place on the UC career scoring list with 1,198 points.
• Wright moves into a tie with Darnell Burton (1993-97) for second in career steals with 184. He is five steals away from owning the school record currently held by David Kennedy (189 from 1977-81).
• Cheikh Mbodj recorded seven points, six rebounds and five blocks against Seton Hall. He has posted four or more blocks in eight games this season. He entered the game second in the BIG EAST and 29th in the nation averaging 2.45 blocks per game.
• The Bearcats will hit the road for the fifth time in their last seven games when they travel to Providence on Feb. 6 for a 7 p.m. ET game. The contest will be televised on the BIG EAST Network and air on FOX Sports Ohio and ESPN3. It also can be heard on 700 WLW-AM.