2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Feb. 7, 2009
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Cincinnati at Georgetown l Feb. 7, 2009
Verizon Center – Washington, D.C.
• Records: Cincinnati – 16-8, 6-5 BIG EAST; Georgetown – 13-9, 4-7 BIG EAST
• Both Cincinnati and Georgetown went scoreless from the field in overtime, but UC shot 5-of-6 from the free throw line, while the Hoyas went 3-of-6 from the charity stripe as UC defeated Georgetown, 64-62.
• With the win, UC now trails 4-2 in the all-time series and Saturday’s win over Georgetown was Cincinnati’s first win in Washington, D.C., in series history.
• The Bearcats improved to 2-0 in overtime games this season. Cincinnati’s other overtime win came against Eastern Kentucky on Dec. 20.
• UC improved to 3-3 on the road in conference play, tying for the most conference road wins in a season since joining the BIG EAST during the 2005-06 season.
• The Bearcats finished with a season-low six offensive rebounds.
• Trailing by as many as 12 points early in the second half, UC earned its fourth double-digit come-from-behind victory of the season. Cincinnati is 5-8 on the season when trailing at the half.
• UC shot 63.6 percent (14-of-22) from the field in the second half, including 66.7 percent (6-of-9) from three. Cincinnati shot 50 percent from the field for the game, marking the first time since Dec. 6 vs. UAB, that UC has shot 50-percent or above from the field.
• Cincinnati scored five unanswered points, including a 3-pointer from sophomore Alvin Mitchell, in the final 1:55 of regulation to send the game into overtime.
• A 10-0 run from the 7:30 mark to the 5:07 of the second half gave UC a 54-52 lead with 5:07 to play, its first lead since leading 15-13 with 7:22 on the clock in the first half.
• A 7-0 run by Georgetown to start the second half gave the Hoyas a 33-21 lead with 18:02 remaining in the game.
• The Hoyas bench outscored the Bearcats bench 13-4 in the first half. However, Cincinnati outscored Georgetown 18-10 in second-half bench points.
• Georgetown entered the half with a 26-21 lead after UC went 2-of-12 from the field in the last 12-plus minutes of the first half.
• In front 13-5 with 13:01 to play in the first half, the Bearcats went scoreless over the next 4:39, allowing Georgetown to go on an 8-0 run to tie the game at 13, with 7:22 on the clock.
• Cincinnati held Georgetown scoreless for the first four minutes of the game and took an 11-2 lead with 15:08 to play in the first half. UC’s first eight points came from its post players, senior Mike Williams and junior Steve Toyloy.
• For the first time since Jan. 20, 2007 (vs. West Virginia), Cincinnati had four players score in double figures. Junior Deonta Vaughn led the way with 16 points, while Williams, freshman Yancy Gates, and sophomore Larry Davis added 11 points apiece.
• Vaughn also grabbed a career-high nine rebounds and dished out seven assists.
• After scoring six points in the last two games, Williams connected on his first three shots scoring the Bearcats’ first six points of the game. Williams finished with 11 points, his 12th double-figure scoring game of the season.
• Gates grabbed seven rebounds and had two blocks in addition to his 11 points, his 14th double-figure scoring effort of the season. Gates scored nine of his 11 points in the second half.
• Davis scored all of his 11 points in the second half, marking his seventh double-figure scoring game this season.
• Mitchell came off the bench and scored all nine of his points off three 3-pointers in the second half.