Men's Basketball |
Feb. 9, 2008
Cincinnati at Rutgers
February 9, 2008
Cincinnati, OH - Fifth Third Arena
Cincinnati (11-12, 6-5 BIG EAST) 72
Rutgers (10-15, 2-10 BIG EAST) 68
· Cincinnati now leads the all-time series 8-3.
· The Bearcats snap a string of back-to-back losses to the Scarlet Knights.
· Cincinnati played its first overtime game of the season, knocking off Rutgers, 72-68. The Bearcats are now 3-0 under head coach Mick Cronin in overtime games.
· Sophomore guard Deonta Vaughn, who was held scoreless in the first half and to six points in regulation, came alive in overtime for Cincinnati scoring 13 points, including the first five of the overtime period. For Vaughn, who averages 17.8 points per game, it was his 20th double digit game of the season and the 39th of his career.
· Senior forward John Williamson stepped up for Cincinnati as Vaughn was finding his shot, scoring a season-high 22 points on 10-of-20 shooting. Williamson kept UC in the game in the second half, posting 14 points.
· With Cincinnati trailing by one, 44-43, with 7:33 remaining in regulation, senior Marvin Gentry hit back-to-back 3-pointers to put UC on top 49-46. Gentry finished the night with eight points including a pair of free throws in overtime that iced the game.
· After committing nine first-half turnovers, UC turned the ball over just five times in the second half and overtime combined.
· The Bearcats out scored Rutgers, 48-28, in the paint.