2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Feb. 11, 2009
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
St. John’s vs. Cincinnati l Feb. 11, 2009
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 17-8, 7-5 BIG EAST; St. John’s – 12-12, 3-9 BIG EAST
• Cincinnati held off the Red Storm with a 71-61 win, improving the series to 5-5 and pushing UC’s streak to three wins over St. John’s.
• Cincinnati shot 62.8 percent from the floor, the first time the Bearcats have shot above 60 percent since firing at a 61.2 percent clip against TCU on Feb. 26, 2005.
• UC improved to 11-0 on the season when leading at the half.
• St. John’s outscored the Bearcats 17-5 in points off turnovers and 15-6 in second-chance points.
• UC’s lead reached as many as 18 points, 66-48, with 7:27 to play, before St. John’s went on an 11-0 run over the next 2:55 to cut its deficit to 66-59 with 3:30 remaining.
• The Bearcats outscored St. John’s 16-6 in first-half bench points. For the game, UC outscored the Red Storm 33-19 in bench points.
• Cincinnati shot 66.7 percent from the field (16-of-24) in the first half, compared to 28.1 percent (9-of-32) for the Red Storm. UC’s first-half field goal percentage is its highest field goal percentage in any half this season.
• A fastbreak lay-up by freshman Dion Dixon with two seconds on the clock in the first half capped off an 8-2 UC run over the final 2:02 giving the Bearcats a 39-22 lead entering halftime. Cincinnati’s 39 first-half points are its most points in the opening 20 minutes in BIG EAST action.
• St. John’s went scoreless from the field in the 4:21 and Cincinnati hit four of its first seven shots to take an 8-1 advantage at the 15:39 mark of the first half.
• Freshman Yancy Gates finished with a season-high 21 points on 8-of-11 shooting from the field, Gates’ first 20-plus point effort of the season.
• Mike Williams scored 12 points and pulled down nine rebounds, his most productive rebounding game since grabbing 16 boards against Eastern Kentucky on Dec. 20.
• After scoring one point in his previous three games, sophomore Rashad Bishop scored seven points.
• Vaughn and Gates scored 12 points and 10 points, respectively, in the first half for UC, marking the first time since Jan. 10 vs. Connecticut that two Cincinnati players scored 10-plus points in the opening 20 minutes.
• Vaughn finished the game with 14 points.
• Freshman Dion Dixon scored 10 points and matched a career-high with five assists (set against Texas Southern, Nov. 18, 2008).