Men's Basketball |
Feb. 24, 2010
Box Score |
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
DePaul at Cincinnati l Feb. 24, 2010
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati - 16-11; 7-8 BIG EAST; DePaul – 8-19; 1-14 BIG EAST.
• Behind a career-high 23 points from sophomore Yancy Gates and freshman Lance Stephenson’s first career double-double, Cincinnati defeated DePaul, 74-69.
• UC improved to 31-15 all-time against the Blue Demons.
• Cincinnati’s bench outscored DePaul’s bench 36-9. The Bearcats are now 16-7 on the season when their bench outscores its opponents.
• UC outscored DePaul 48-30 in points in the paint. The 48 points in the paint ties a season-high as Cincinnati scored 48 points in the point against Toledo on Nov. 18.
• The Bearcats grabbed 19 offensive rebounds which turned into 21 second-chance points. UC outscored DePaul 21-6 in second-chance points.
• The Bearcats outrebounded the Blue Demons, 47-31, improving to 7-1 when grabbing 45-plus rebounds in a game.
• UC shot 50.8 (30-of-59) percent from the floor, including 62.5 (15-of-24) percent in the second half, compared to just 40.6 (26-of-64) percent for DePaul.
• UC responded with a 13-3 run over the final 4:53 of the first half, which included a one-handed dunk by freshman Lance Stephenson with three seconds to play, to take a 35-26 lead entering halftime.
• Cincinnati outrebounded DePaul 29-15 in the first half as junior Ibrahima Thomas and Stephenson led the Bearcats with seven rebounds apiece. UC’s 10 first-half offensive rebounds turned into 10 second-chance points.
• The Bearcats outshot the Blue Demons 42.9 percent (15-of-35) to 35.5 percent (11-31) from the floor in the opening 20 minutes.
• Trailing 20-11 with 9:03 to play, DePaul went on a 12-2 run to take a one-point lead, 23-22, with 5:03 remaining in the first half.
• Gates scored 12 points and grabbed five rebounds in the first half giving him 17 double-figure scoring games on the season. Gates finished with a career-high 23 points and posted eight rebounds. It is Gates’ first 20-plus point game of the season and the third of his career.
• Stephenson recorded his first career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds and became the seventh UC player this season to record a double-double. Stephenson was 7-of-12 from the floor and also dished out a game-high four assists.
• Stephenson and Thomas finished with 10 rebounds apiece, giving UC two players with 10-plus rebounds in a game for the first time since Nov. 23, 2009, against Vanderbilt at the EA Sports Maui Invitational.