Men's Basketball |
Feb. 26, 2009
Box Score |
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
West Virginia vs. Cincinnati l Feb. 26, 2009
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 18-10; 8-7 BIG EAST; West Virginia – 19-9; 8-7 BIG EAST
• With the 65-61 win over West Virginia, UC pushed its win streak to two, improved to 10-6 all-time, 6-1 at home, and 3-1 against the Mountaineers under head coach Mick Cronin.
• With the win, Cincinnati improved to 8-7 in the BIG EAST, which equals the most conference wins since joining the BIG EAST during the 2005-06 season. The Bearcats won eight BIG EAST games during the 2005-06 season and during the 2007-08 season.
• The Bearcats forced the Mountaineers to shoot 19 percent from the 3-point line, up 14.5 percent from West Virginia’s .045 three-point field goal percentage against Cincinnati last season.
• UC is now 6-10 when trailing at the half and improved to 3-0 on the year when recording the same number of rebounds as its opponent.
• Cincinnati had its highest rebounding performance (37) since its 93-83 victory over Notre Dame on Feb. 4. The Bearcats pulled down 37 rebounds against the Irish.
• UC outscored WVU, 31-16, in bench points.
• Trailing by four points, 42-38, with 14:49 remaining, the Bearcats went on a 13-0 run over the next 4:54 to take a 51-42 lead with 9:28 to play.
• West Virginia took a 33-32 lead into the half as the Mountaineers shot 41.9 percent (13-of-31) from the field. Cincinnati shot 48.3 percent (14-of-29) from the field.
• UC used a 9-0 run from the 7:08 mark to the 4:01 mark to jump back on top, 28-27.
• West Virginia went on a 15-2 run over a 3:59 stretch to take a 27-19 lead with 8:24 to play in the first half.
• From the 16:13 mark to the 12:46 mark of the first half, UC went on a 13-2 run to take a 17-12 lead. Freshman Yancy Gates scored seven points during the run.
• Gates scored 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting in the first half and also grabbed six rebounds. He finished with a career-high 22 points and matched his career-high with 11 rebounds, recording his second double-double of the season and his first since the season-opener vs. South Dakota on Nov. 16.
• Gates shot 9-11 from the floor for the game and pulled down a career-high nine defensive rebounds.
• Junior Deonta Vaughn scored 13 points and dished out three assists.
• Sophomore Rashad Bishop scored nine points for the Bearcats marking his highest point total since scoring 15 points at St. John’s on Jan. 22.
• Sophomore Larry Davis finished with a career-high six rebounds. His previous career-best was five rebounds vs. Western Illinois on Nov. 22, 2008.
• Gates scored 11 of Cincinnati’s first 17 points as the Bearcats took a 17-12 lead with 12:46 to play in the first half.
• Sophomore Alvin Mitchell earned his third start of the season vs. West Virginia.