Men's Basketball |
March 2, 2008
Box Score |
AP Action Photos
Providence at Cincinnati
March 2, 2008
Cincinnati, OH - Fifth Third Arena
Providence (14-14, 5-11 BIG EAST) 81
Cincinnati (13-15, 8-8 BIG EAST) 79
· Providence takes a 2-1 lead in the series following today's 81-79 overtime win.
· This was the first overtime game in the series.
· After letting Providence get out to a 12-2 lead, the Bearcats went on a 24-13 run to take their first lead, 26-25, at the 8:54 mark of the first half. Freshman guard Larry Davis led the charge, scoring 12 of the 24 points.
· Davis finished the game with a career-high 16 points, surpassing his previous best of 15 vs. USC Upstate on Nov. 26. It was his first double-digit scoring performance since posting 10 at Notre Dame (Jan. 15) and his fifth of the year.
· UC scored 34 points in the first half. It is the first time since West Virginia on Jan. 30 that Cincinnati has scored more than 30 points in the opening period.
· The Bearcats defense allowed its third straight opponent to score 70 or more points. Cincinnati is 2-5 on the year when allowing opponents over 70 points.
· The overtime loss was Cincinnati's first since losing to Xavier, 73-71, in the Crosstown Shootout on Jan. 19, 2006. UC is now 46-34 all-time in overtime contests.
· Sophomore guard Deonta Vaughn, who had three points in the first half, scored 10 in the second to finish with 13. All 10 of his second half points came in the final 10 minutes of regulation to get the Bearcats back in the game.
· Finishing with 19 points vs. Providence, John Williamson has now scored in double figures in five of his last six games and is averaging 18.5 over the stretch.
· Coming off the bench, senior forward Marcus Sikes scored seven points and made seven rebounds in 19 minutes of play. He has averaged 5.4 points and 4.0 rebounds off the bench in his last five games, while playing in just 62 minutes (12.4 minutes per game).