Men's Basketball |
March 2, 2010
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 9/9 Villanova at Cincinnati l March 2, 2010
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati - 16-13; 7-10 BIG EAST; No. 9/9 Villanova – 24-5; 13-4 BIG EAST.
• Villanova hit 5-of-7 free throws in the final minute to hold on for a 77-73 victory over Cincinnati.
• Villanova improved to 5-1 against Cincinnati in the all-time series and 3-1 when playing the Bearcats in Clifton.
• UC fell to 3-4 vs. teams ranked in the Top 25 in the Associated Press poll this season.
• The Bearcats outscored the Wildcats 34-16 in points in the paint and 17-11 in points off turnovers.
• VU had seven second-chance points in the first 5:35 of the contest, but Cincinnati outscored Villanova 15-0 for the remainder of the game in second-chance points.
• The Wildcats shot 47.6 percent (10-of-21) from 3-point range and 71.4 percent (25-of-35) from the free throw line, compared to 23.3 percent (7-of-30) from behind-the-arc and 66.7 percent (14-of-21) from the charity stripe for the Bearcats.
• A 14-0 Cincinnati run from the 5:42 mark to the 2:48 mark of the second half closed cut a 15-point Villanova lead to one point, 66-65, with 2:48 to play.
• Cincinnati went scoreless from the field in the first 6:07 of the first half and the Wildcats went on a 12-1 run to take a 43-32 lead with 13:53 to play.
• Senior Deonta Vaughn scored UC’s final six points of the first half and the Bearcats held Villanova to one made field goal over the final eight minutes to erase a 10-point deficit and tie the game at 31 entering the half.
• An 11-2 run by Villanova from the 10:53 mark to the 8:20 mark helped the Wildcats open a 26-16 lead with 8:20 remaining in the first half.
• Vaughn scored 14 points in the first half on 5-of-7 shooting from the floor. The 14 points in a half ties for the most points scored in a half by a UC player this season. Vaughn finished with 18 points in his final game in Fifth Third Arena.
• Vaughn became the fourth player in UC history to score over 1,800 points in a career with his 18 points against Villanova, joining Oscar Robertson (2,973 points), Steve Logan (1,985 points), and Danny Fortson (1,881 points). Vaughn also moved into a tie for third on UC’s career steals list, tying Eddie Lee with 163 career thefts.
• Junior Rashad Bishop hit 8-of-14 field goals and posted a team-high 19 points off the bench for UC.
• Sophomore Yancy Gates scored 13 points and went a perfect 7-of-7 from the free throw line. The seven free throw attempts and makes are both season highs.
• Freshman Lance Stephenson scored 12 points and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds for Cincinnati. It is the third straight game that Stephenson has led the team or tied for a team-high in rebounds.
• Villanova’s Scottie Reynolds scored all 17 of his points in the second half.
• Vaughn and senior Steve Toyloy combined to score 10 of Cincinnati’s first 12 points over the opening 7:44 of the game.