Men's Basketball |
March 9, 2013
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2012-13 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati: 61 (21-10, 9-9 BIG EAST); USF 53 (12-18, 3-15 BIG EAST) OT
March 9, 2013 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 11,572
- Cincinnati leads the all-time series 24-8 overall and 15-1 in Cincinnati.
- UC Starters: Titus Rubles (F), Cheikh Mbodj (C), Cashmere Wright (G), Alex Eppensteiner (G), JaQuon Parker (G). Tonight marked UC’s fifth different lineup of the season.
- Trailing, 42-35 with 7:35 remaining, UC used a 12-8 run to knot things up at 47 apiece at the end of regulation.
- The Bearcats outscored USF 14-6 in the extra period, helping UC top the 21-win barrier for the third straight season. UC finished with 26 wins each of the past two years.
- It was UC’s third overtime game of the season, all against BIG EAST Conference schools and two at Fifth Third Arena. UC is 2-1 in the extra period, 2-0 on the home court.
- UC converted 14 offensive rebounds into 18 second-chance points.
- UC won the overall rebounding battle by a 35-24 margin.
- UC finished the night with five blocks, the 21st time in 31 games UC has had five or more stuffs in a game.
- The Bearcats held a 35-30 lead after a triple by Sean Kilpatrick with 12:44 remaining. USF outscored UC 12-0 over the next 5:44 to lead 42-35 with 7:00 remaining.
- Tonight’s attendance was 11,572, UC’s ninth crowd of the season over 10,000, giving the Bearcats a season total of 166,560, and an average of 9,253 fans per game, the highest in the Mick Cronin era.
- Seniors Alex Eppensteiner, Cheikh Mbodj, JaQuon Parker and Cashmere Wright were honored in a pregame ceremony.
- Eppensteiner made his first career start.
- Justin Jackson did not play due to injury. He has missed UC’s last three games.
- Wright played in his 136th career game, giving him sole possession of second-place all-time. Dion Dixon (2009-12) holds the UC career record with 137 games played.
- Wright scored a team-high 15 points. He moved into 23rd place on UC's career scoring list with 1,282 points. He trails No. 22 Damon Flint (1994-97) who finished with a career total of 1,316 points.
- Wright had two steals to add to his UC record total of 195.
- Wright is the only player in school history to total at least 1,200 points, 450 assists and 190 steals.
- Mbodj had three blocks on the night, running his season total to 80 and moving him into fourth-place all-time on the single-season chart. Eric Hicks had a school record 113 blocks in 2005-06. Mbodj entered Saturday’s contest ranked 20th in the nation and second in the BIG EAST in blocked shots, averaging 2.57 blocks per game.
- Kilpatrick scored 13, moving his career total over the 1,400-point plateau to 1,404. He is only the 11th player in school history to accomplish the feat in three years. He sits 16th on UC's career scoring chart, trailing Dwight Jones (1980-83) who is 15th with 1,451 career points.
- Kilpatrick entered Saturday’s game ranked second in the BIG EAST in 3-point FG made, averaging 2.53 per game. He is also fourth in the league in scoring (14.75 ppg). He hit a pair of triples Saturday.
- The Bearcats head to Madison Square Garden in New York City for the 2013 BIG EAST Conference Championship. UC is the No. 9 seed and will play No. 8 seed Providence on Wednesday at noon on ESPN and 700 WLW.