Men's Basketball |
March 17, 2010
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 7-Seed Weber State at No. 2-Seed Cincinnati l March 17, 2010
National Invitation Tournament First Round
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati - 19-15; 7-11 BIG EAST; Weber State – 20-11; 13-3 Big Sky.
• An 11-0 run from over a 2:20 stretch late in the second half pushed Cincinnati’s eight-point lead to 19, 74-55, with 2:33 to play and from there, Cincinnati defeated Weber State, 76-62.
• The Bearcats improved to 3-0 vs. Big Sky opponents and 1-0 all-time against Weber State.
• In its 10th appearance in the NIT, UC moved its NIT record to 8-9 with the win over Weber State.
• The win gives Cincinnati its 19th of the season. Under head coach Mick Cronin, UC has improved its win total in each of his four seasons (2006-07, 11 wins; 2007-08, 13 wins; 2008-09, 18 wins; 2009-10; 19 wins).
• UC forced Weber State into 23 turnovers, the first time this season that Cincinnati has forced 20-plus turnovers by its opponent.
• The Bearcats scored 22 points off turnovers in the first half against Weber State. Coming into the game, Cincinnati’s most points off turnovers in a game was 22 against Vanderbilt (Nov. 23) and Providence (Jan. 30). UC finished with 28 points off turnovers for the game.
• The Bearcats hit 15-of-16 shots (93.8 percent) from the free throw line. It is the first time UC has shot above 90 percent from the line since Jan. 4, 2009 at Marquette.
• The Bearcats recorded 11 steals against the Wildcats, the most steals by UC this season.
• A 16-4 run by the Wildcats over a 7:01 stretch cut what was a 20-point deficit to eight points, 56-48, with 8:03 to play.
• A 3-pointer by junior Larry Davis as time expired in the first half sent Cincinnati into halftime with a 40-25 lead. The 40 first-half points are the most first-half points scored by the Bearcats since scoring 44 in the first half against Providence on Jan. 30.
• UC hit 7-of-17 3-pointers in the first half, tying for the most made 3-pointers in a half this season. The Bearcats hit seven three’s in the first half against West Virginia on Feb. 27 and hit seven 3-pointers in the second half vs. Lipscomb on Dec. 19.
• Leading 20-19, UC hit four straight field goals from the 6:29 mark of the first half to the 5:22 mark, sparking a 17-0 run that opened up an 18-point advantage, 37-19, with 1:46 remaining in the first half.
• Weber State missed its first five shots from the floor over the first 4:23, but the Wildcats hit their next four shots over the next 2:55 to take their first lead of the game, 10-9, with 12:41 to play in the first half.
• Senior Deonta Vaughn posted a team-high 16 points and added five rebounds and seven assists.
• A Vaughn assist on a 3-pointer by Stephenson with 18:00 to play in the first half moved Vaughn past Eddie Lee (1976-80) into first place on Cincinnati’s all-time assist list. Vaughn has 507 assists in his career.
• Vaughn hit a 3-pointer with 1:46 on the clock in the first half to tie Darnell Burton (1993-97) atop UC’s career 3-pointers chart. A trey by Vaughn with 18:14 remaining in the game moved him past Burton as UC’s career 3-point leader and he finished the game with 309 career 3-pointers.
• Freshman Lance Stephenson led all players with 12 points in the first half on 4-of-6 shooting. Stephenson finished with 14 points.