Men's Basketball |
Oct. 26, 2013
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2013-14 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati: 77; Carleton 63
October 26, 2013 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 5,124
- Saturday’s matchup was the first meeting between the teams since 2010 when Cincinnati and Carleton played twice before the 2010-11 campaign. UC posted an 87-70 win on Sept. 4 in Ottawa, Ontario, during a three-game trip in Canada. The Bearcats also defeated the Ravens 89-57 in an exhibition contest at Fifth Third Arena on Nov. 1.
- UC Starters: Titus Rubles (F), Shaquille Thomas (F), Justin Jackson (F), Ge’Lawn Guyn (G) and Sean Kilpatrick (G).
- The Ravens got to within four points at 60-56 before sophomore Shaquille Thomas scored five consecutive points to grow the lead to 65-56 with 4:50 remaining in the game. Thomas scored on two layups and a free throw.
- The Bearcats closed out the game on a 7-0 scoring run that spanned the last 2:19 of the second half. Titus Rubles, Sean Kilpatrick and Justin Jackson all scored points during the run.
- Cincinnati shot 45.8 percent from the field while Carleton had a .373 field goal percentage.
- The Ravens shot 30.4 percent from behind the arc, making seven attempts to account for 21 of their points. After starting the contest 4-of-4 from long range, the Ravens finished the game 3-of-19.
- UC got to the foul line 29 times during the contest, compared to Carleton’s 17 trips to the line.
- No Cincinnati player recorded more than three turnovers on the day.
- Collectively, the Bearcats registered 10 steals, while the Ravens only produced two steals. Troy Caupain and Sean Kilpatrick each had two steals for the home squad.
- Carleton did not register a block during the game.
- Cincinnati outscored Carleton in points in the paint (38-28), points off turnovers (16-9), fast break points (10-8) and bench points (18-8). The Ravens held the advantage on second chance points (11-5).
- The Bearcats are 4-0 vs. Carleton during the Mick Cronin coaching era. Cincinnati won the first meeting, a 64-54 decision on Nov. 1, 2008 in an exhibition contest at Fifth Third Arena.
- UC is 15-0 in exhibition games under eighth-year head coach Mick Cronin.
- Cincinnati has now won its last 35 preseason exhibition games dating back to an 85-82 loss to Athletes in Action on Nov. 18, 1995.
- Cincinnati fans got their first glimpse of freshmen Trop Caupain, Jermaine Lawrence and Kevin Johnson.
- Senior forward Justin Jackson finished with 14 points, which would have tied his career-high during a regular season game. His six field goals made also are the most during his time at Cincinnati. Jackson also added seven rebounds and five blocks in 32 minutes.
- Senior Sean Kilpatrick led all scorers with 20 points on 6-of-16 shooting and 7-of-9 from the free throw line.
- Shaquille Thomas collected seven rebounds to lead the Bearcats. The sophomore also added 11 points on 5-of-7 shooting.
- The Bearcats will host their second exhibition game on Sat., Nov. 2 at 2 p.m. when the NCAA Division II Knights of Bellarmine University come to Fifth Third Arena.